We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Hi, I see V Australia are now offering "Mystery breaks" of 1-3 nights including airfares, transfers and accommodation and baggage allowance.

Has anyone used this relatively new service and if so, any comments?

132 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

They had them all the time when Virgin first came to Aus and friends and I used them quite a lot back then.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Thanks for your reply, Perfectly Perth. Were they reasonable value or did they send you to out of the way, hard to sell destinations?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Not at all - one trip we ended up in Bali, another one was Melbourne during a sporting event (cant remember if it was tennis or car racing - but it was a time where accom would have been at a premium). I think we did 4 all up and I recollect them all being capital cities with central hotels. (stretching my memory as it was a decade ago!!).

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

That is most useful.

Thanks so much.

:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
168 reviews
5. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

PP - Bali ?? Wow ! That's some mystery package !

I may go and check it out !! Thanks for posting Unlefey.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

A friend from Canberra did one of these years ago. A mystery break out of Sydney. You guessed it - the flight was to Canberra! :-)

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Bali? Of course you'd have to be sure you had a current passport. I think options from the East Coast are more likely to be local.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Just had a look ....when you get up to the three day one it works out to be pretty good value ......looked a bit further and when you go to book you actually get to exclude one destination , so if you are departing Sydney you may want to exclude Newcastle or Canberra ........ no overseas ones listed at the moment but the T&C say passport and visa are your responsibility

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
168 reviews
9. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

Is this a regular feature for Virgin to advertise Mystery flights or does it only happen every now and then?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?

The Bali one was a specific deal at the time where it was advertised as a "Mystery Shopping Day".

So we actually expected it to be Melbourne - when it turned out to be Bali I was initially disappointed as its not my ideal location - but my friend was chuffed.

We left around 5am and arrived in time to shop all day, then provided with a hotel room to shower etc, complimentry meal and cocktails, then a very late night flight back home. Long day but my friend filled 2 suitcases with junk and I bought a tonne of computer programs.

The other ones were all just overnight stays. A 3 night deal definitely sounds good !!

Dougo it was a regular thing when they first started in Aus but it seemed to drift off.

Reply to: Virgin Australia Mystery Breaks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted