We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Which Australia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

A simple question I think, but SWMBO is not satisfied with my understanding of how the free CC travel insurance works. She works in a financial institution that sells the stuff and is concerned. I always in the past purchased insurance, and have searched the Aust forum regarding CC travel insurance and have not found a mention of the point at issue. Chubb underwrite the NAB policy.

I have closely read the T&C's and am happy that I have ticked the boxes in spending more than $500 (8 times that so far) and that a the coverage is now activated. The other half is looking to be provided with a policy document with all our details on it, with a policy number.

The way I read it the coverage is a "sleeper" in that no individual policy is raised, with the coverage being in place subject to any claims being presented in the future, with proof being provided that the CC was used to meet the conditions. Yes or No?

Since we last travelled she has also developed a medical condition and expected to be required to make a declaration in that regard. As I read the T&C's, pre-existing conditions would not be covered, and we did not expect that they would be, and the person must be fit to travel before commencing the travel. We have no problem with that point.

Can my 'imaginary friends', as my wife calls you all, please advise me?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,387 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

I can't speak about the NAB, but we had to make a claim on the equivalent offered with ANZ's Platinum Visa. The insurer wanted proof that we had charged holiday costs to our card (at least $150 before leaving Australia), and was quite happy with a copy of the e-ticket showing the air fare and a copy of our Visa statement showing the payment. The claim (for 2 days in intensive care in France) was paid in full within 10 days.

The ANZ policy will cover automatically for some pre-existing conditions, and *may* provide cover for others on application and perhaps payment of an extra premium.

You don't need a policy: you are covered as soon as you charge the necessary minimum amount on the card.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

That is the way I saw it as well, Nick, and I did read of your unfortunate medical problem in France in my trawling of the previous threads. Thanks for your reply.

We had a trip planned for South Africa for mid last year and I had taken out TI with QBE. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with a nasty several months before which required the trip to be cancelled. We had few problems claiming that once I got the stupid Doctor, for the purpose of the medical report, to understand the distinction between 'suspecting something might be wrong', before I had paid the airfares and taken out the policy, and an actual diagnoses many weeks later after the trip had been paid for.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 21:18
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,930 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

We have NAB platinum too and called Chubb to qualify some of the points you raise when we traveled a few months ago.

You are right about no individual policy being raised.

I'm not sure where the $500 rule came from. The T&Cs state that 100% of the return transportation - ie airfares ? - must be purchased on the card. Sounds like you have done this anyway.

We were told by the insurers that although any medical expenses arising from pre existing conditions are not covered other medical expenses are. So if you have a heart condition and you break your arm it's covered.

The one thing we did not pick up on and which caught us out big time was making a claim to return early because of family illness. Unfortunately for us they refused to pay because our family member who was hospitalized was over 80 years old.

I'm not sure but suspect that this is standard practice incall but the most expensive travel insurance policies.

We have only made one other claim for an item purchased on the card which was stolen and have had no problems.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

G'day Eva, and thanks for your also informative response.

I am reading this from the NAB Card Insurance Policy Information Booklet effective 1/6/11 and the $500 may be a new condition since you travelled.

We don't have any relo's older than us, so we are safe there.

"So if you have a heart condition and you break your arm it's covered"

I work in personal injury law. Now if the heart condition caused the fall resulting in a broken arm ........? Ha ha. This is something we sometimes see (well similar things anyway) and it is always an interesting fight.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,930 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Hi Frommy

I read that too, but this from the NAB Platinum Policy Insurance Booklet

(p 4)

'Cover activation criteria

Your cover under this NAB Platinum Overseas Travel

Insurance is deemed to have been activated if:

• you are a current NAB platinum cardholder; and

• prior to the commencement of your journey, you have

paid 100% of your return overseas transport costs

(airfares and/or cruise costs) including charges, fees

and/or taxes with your NAB platinum card account.

Please note: In the event of a claim, you will be required to

provide documentation to support that you have satisfied

the cover activation criteria.'

Seems a bit contradictory doesn't it??

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Yep.But have paid all air costs anyway, so I am OK. I can't be bothered to try to follow the mysterious navigation channels through the NAB website tonight, after doing so today from work (well, I did need to print out the 70 pages didn't I)

:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Frommy,

Your last comment re the heart attack causing the broken arm. When trying to get insurance a few years ago they refused guru everything on the grounds that his x may lead to "circumstances which result in an indirect claim", e.g. he might drop his bag causing damage to his luggage (their words)...

They sent this in writing after refusing his application...

The T&Cs also don;t cover return for people at home with a pre existing condition, e.g. (totally hypothetical) if my brother has a heart problem even though he's 29 and has a heart attack and dies, returning to Aus from OS is not covered.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Hi Frommy

We are booking a trip to Hawaii and my reading of the NAB booklet is that only $500 needs to be spent to activate. Did you manage to confirm this?

I would like to avoid most of the 1% credit card surcharge if I can, but don't want to risk having no insurance in the US!

Regards

Your imaginary Friend

Edited: 08 November 2011, 10:58
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

G'day imaginary friend Ozblue,

I have not have it verified as it does not matter to me if my (and your) reading of the T&C's re the $500 is correct, or that of Eva posted above of 100%, because we qualify either way.

The 1% CC charge is miniscule compared to the cost of an individual travel policy. It would only have been about $34 on our air fares payment.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NAB Platinum Visa CC Travel Insurance

Hey all

I realise it's a few months down the track now, but just posting my experience for future readers looking for reviews/experiences as I was in the past.

In the process of making a claim for a lost camera and sunglasses at the moment. I registered a claim via phone on Sunday after arriving back in Oz, received an email detailing information required on Monday. After compiling the info, along with a number of queries, I received a response the day after clarifying what else was required.

The initial request asked for proof of "all prepaid travel expenses" on the credit card. As there was a few of these spread across several months I asked if I could just provide proof of my flights to Singapore - which alone met the $500 minimum threshold for the Insurance. They said this was fine, so that's all I had to prove up to get my policy activated.

They're now processing the rest of the info, but all looking positive so far.