We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

So I have spent about 5 hours of my day today searching forums and decided to post my own situation. My husband and I are taking our two kids 5yr old son & 2yr old daughter to explore Australia for 18 days as a family. We've never been and I want this trip to be memorable for us all! What I'm envisioning is not a lot of driving (although we can if we need to) and highlights being encounters with koalas/kangaroos and maybe crocs and penguins, some sheep shearing/farmstay experience, a visit to Ayers Rock and a kid-friendly snorkling trip somewhere on the GBR. Any suggestions??? Also, we fly into Sydney but can drive or fly from there if need be...any good package deals for hotel/air/tours? It seems like Kangaroo Island and Phillip Island would be great for the wildlife experience (does one beat out the other if we don't have enough time?)(Would they be pretty cold in June?) Thanks for your help. I'm overwhelmed!!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

18 days would be around 4 max 5 destinations including travel time.

flying to your planned destinations is probably the most efficient time use then hiring a car (or doing tours) locally.

www.webjet.com.au will give u an idea of fares or look at combining your domestic legs into your international ticket.

sydney would be an opportunity to see native animals at the sydney zoo plus a number of other smaller animal parks.

cairns/pd for reef visits (altho not all are entirely suitable for kids their age), daintree, cape trib and atherton tableland for more animal encounters.

june would certainly be cold at phillip and kangaroo islands but the latter has a great concentration of aus native animals in the wild.

phillip island has penguins but really going to melbourne and then onto the island just to see them should not imo be a priority. having said that there are plenty of other atttractions in the melbourne area to warrant a trip there.

as for uluru, i always say yes. visit there. a spiritual place but not for everyone. some just see it as a big red rock.

so i think u will have to prioritize your destinations. dont think u can go everywhere. and DIY is easy. no need imo for an overall tour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

missabby

the 1st of June is the official start to Winter in Australia and it will be cold particularly in the southern states and very cold at night in the desert around Alice Springs and Uluru.

As Lien said, to see the places you want to see particularly in Victoria (Philip Island, GOR), a hire car would be best.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at the Trip Reports on the AUSTRALIA FORUM as several may include travel across various states so you should be able to get a sense of how much time people spent at various places.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c121018/Austr…

Edited: 28 August 2011, 13:27
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

Sydney is a must for 3 or 4 days. We took our 2yo to the Aquarium in Darling Harbor and it was fantastic.

I dont know how much travelling you have done with your kids but it is pretty damm hard work and we have always had the most enjoyment by staying put for at least 3 or 4 days in apartments so kids can get settled etc. As much as the temptation is there just dont get too ambitious. For example I instantly baulk at the thought of Uluru AND KI just purely due to travel times and getting to the locations. i mean KI is amazing but you fly to adelaide, then ferry over there, then hire a car to whereever you are staying to see animals that lets face it, you can see in Taronga Zoo. I know I am being negative and I would never diss the amazing KI BUT I know from experience that a holiday with kids can be ruined by being too ambitious. We did it in May in Vietnam and I had to come home for a holiday!

Australia has great apartment hotels everywhere so try and pick max 4 locations and make the most of those places. Sunshine Coast is a great spot, Australia Zoo is there, Underwater World, lots of playgrounds, beaches etc. cairns could be a good choice too as it will be warm enough to swim that far north. It will be too cold most other places.

You should be able to find a farmstay near Sydney maybe, keep hunting the web. There is some beautiful countryside around Sydney.

Oz is very family friendly, your family will have a lovely holiday.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

funny how times change, or elsa. 30 years ago we hawked our kids (about the same age as the op's) all over the world for a couple of years. there was never any thought about 'the itinerary' suiting them. they just went where we wanted to go and at our pace. at destinations we tried to do half a day for them and half a day for us. we never had any drama. maybe they got used to it. certainly it was a world without electronic entertainment and communication then so maybe kids were more self contained so to speak. obviously it all did no harm. they still speak of our adventures and love to look over all our old photo albums. and the 31yo daughter hasn't stopped travelling yet

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

Same here lien, our kids still travel with us at teens & it's about mixing things that interests all of us.

More info. about visiting Sydney with kids

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s401/Sydney:A…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

and the point of your post is........

sorry I take offence at your post and do not see what relevance it has to the original post, I have done 2 overseas trips with a baby/small child, 1 to Europe, 1 to Asia and numerous other interstate holidays and am not a parent who revolves their life around their child......far from it.

I am merely pointing out to the original poster that some of these locations are not that easy to get to or take excessive travel times (Australia is a BIG country) and therefore don't try and do it all - you will spend the whole time travelling, dealing with tired kids, jetlag, trying to entertain them on planes, trains and automobiles. We had a week from hell in Vietnam where we didn't quite grasp how much travel was involved in getting to each place and spent the whole week exhausted. I am merely passing on my experience that 1 night here, on a plane, next night in another place etc etc does not work well with small kids.

As for electronic entertainment, well I dont recall my 15 mth old having any interest in that on the flight to Europe, we just drugged her and all went to sleep!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

the point of my post is that times have changed and that more consideration is now given to kids when travelling.

dont know how u could take offence at that.

sheesh...talk about sensitive!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

well I doubt 2yo's have changed THAT much in 30 yrs. they were pains in the backside back then and still are......travelling or not.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

Thank you all for your input. Points well taken. How cold does it get on Kangaroo Island in June? I'm thinking that unfortunately we would be better off sticking to Sydney for a few days, rent a car and travel north along the Gold Coast to Brisbane and do a farmstay along the way. Fly from Brisbane to Uluru. Then fly from Uluru to Port Douglas, although I've heard a lot of recommendations to stay on Whitsunday Island (anyone know how easy it is to get there and whether or not it's worth the effort?). Then fly back to Sydney to fly home to the US. Does that sound a bit more doable with 2 kids?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Australia in June 2012 w. 5&2yr. old--what 2 c

the max in KI in june averages 15C, min 9C. it is also the wettest month.

from a flight connection point of view a better itinerary than the one u suggested would be sydney-brisbane-whitsundays-cairns/pd-uluru-sydney.

u could fit that in 18 days with a say, 3-4 day drive between sydney and brisbane including a farm stay but it is still fairly hectic. maybe u can give the whitsundays a miss (cairns area is probably better for the kids, anyway) and distribute those days to the other destinations.

but including the islands suggest :

sydney 3 days

drive to brisbane 4 days

brisbane/ aus zoo 2days

fly to whitsundays 3 days

fly to cairns/pd 4 days

fly to uluru 2 days

fly to sydney and depart