We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in january-where to go??

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in january-where to go??

Hi, my husband and I will be visiting austrailia next christmas. we will be spending a week in melbourne and great ocean road, followed by christmas, NYE and family wedding in sydney (about 2 weeks). My question is where shoud we go for our last 16days-it will be from jan 2 onwards. Ideally we would visit coast from sydney to brisbane, and uo to Mackay near whitsundays but we are unsure as this is cylcone season. Alternatively we are considering a return flight to perth so we can do margaret river and coast uo tp Ningaloo reef, but are we made to fly the whole wat across Oz when we haven't seen the eastern coast?

Any suggestion would be great?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

Take a look at Tasmania.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
380 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

I would avoid Far North Queensland as it is the cyclone season and anything could happen!

The coast between Sydney and Noosa heads is a lovely drive and the weather is usually good at that time of year so I would recommend that you consider doing this. There are plenty of nice places to visit including Port Stephens, Port Macquarie, Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour. Gold Coast , Mooloolaba, and Noosa Heads. (And of course plenty of lesser known but very nice places in between.) This would easily account for your last 16 days and you can modify it to suit if you want to cut down on the travel, and stick to the NSW northern beaches.

of course WA would also be lovely if you are happy to travel, so I guess it depends on what you feel like doing.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

>>it depends on what you feel like doing<<

Exactly.

>>Alternatively we are considering a return flight to perth so we can do margaret river and coast uo tp Ningaloo reef, but are we made to fly the whole wat across Oz when we haven't seen the eastern coast?<<

You'd be as good as flying over the whole continent arriving/departing Oz anyway, and you can leave from Perth without coming back east to go home I presume, so if there are things in the west that appeal to you I really can't see why not.

Tassie's a great suggestion too, especially for that time of year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

Hi,

You do have some options regarding where you can go.

Firstly, Jan is cyclone & stinger season in NTH Qld & NTH WA.

Here are a few suggestions :

a) Fly to Tasmania (Hobart) - drive around Tassie - fab destination with beautiful scenery.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

b) Fly to Perth - Drive down to Margaret River & further down to Esperence. Stunning beaches. Fly home via Singapore.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Getting_…

c) Drive Sydney to Melbourne - coastal route - lovely coastal towns & beaches.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

d) Drive Sydney to Brisbane.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

e) Fly to Adelaide - fly to Kangaroo Island - pick up car & drive around.

www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

Jan is peak season so you will need to book accommodation ahead to avoid disappointment. Prices will also be at their peak.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

our flights are booked to fly into melbourne and home from sydney, so if we go to WA we would have to fly back to sydney to catch our return flight

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

Oh okay, I just thought it sounded like something you were specifically interested in, but that amount of going back and forth doesn't make sense.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

we are definitely really interested in visiting WA, it looks amazing, and may be a bit quieter than the east coast. But perhaps we would be better making the WA a trip on its own-flying into and home from Perth. My borther is marrying an aussie girl so chances are we will be back to that side of the world.

We had thought about tasmania too- but afew aussie friends said perhaps it is too simlilar to ireland?

One thing about the coastal drive from sydney to brisbane and noosa- is it very touristy, I've heard the word tacky mentioned? Or are these select towns that can be avoided??

Would Fraser Isand or the islands around there be worth visiting at that time of year?

thanks

qld australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

hi, just thought i'd put in my two cents worth, i live on the sunshine coast and "tacky" isn't a word i would associate with the sunshine coast maybe the gold coast, sorry gold coasters but i have lived there too. noosa is not what it was, it's way overpriced, but the natural beauty of the place is amazing. if you are a family i would suggest the southern end of the coast mooloolaba area, much more family friendly, but still has great restaurants, accomadation and beaches. enjoy your holiday

9. Re: 3 weeks in january-where to go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 22:17