We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I like your notes

England
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
I like your notes

Picked up the currency today.

Really like your notes. A work of art in fact.

The little clear plastic section is sweet.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I like your notes

They are very difficult to forge, last for years, and are not affected if left in the pocket of a garment that is washed. I understand that they cost more to print, but the overall cost is lower because they last much longer than paper notes.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I like your notes

I like our notes too, especially the $100 ones!

But yes they are supposedly difficult to forge, but there has been word of that happening on the Gold Coast lately.

Not long now trickster are you counting down the days?

Edited: 06 April 2011, 21:56
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I like your notes

They can stick together though, be careful. If you think you had $100 and find nothing left maybe you have given two away stuck together by mistake,...that is my story anyways.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 22:17
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I like your notes

When it comes to change, we don't have any shrapnel any more - no 1c, 2c coins, so if you buy something for say $19.97, $19.98 or $19.99 you'll have to hand over $20 (no change) but if you buy stuff and the total comes to $40.02, it'll be rounded down to $40 (but if it comes to $40.03, you'll be up for $40.05 ..) and so on. 5c is our lowest coin (then 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2).

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I like your notes

There was a great story published not long after the introduction of the polymer notes, then called plastic notes, in 1988 where, as I seem to recall, an Oz traveller was having difficulty with convincing the currency exchange person that the currency was real.

The person behind in the queue stepped up and intervened, examined the note, then produced his passport and ID. The note was then accepted as genuine.

That person was Bernie Fraser, the then Governor of the Reserve Bank, the most boring speaker in the World, and whose signature appeared on the notes at that time. I was assured at the time by a contact I had who worked at the Reserve Bank that the story was genuine, and had been the subject of much humour within the RB.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 23:55
England
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I like your notes

Thanks for the useful info on coins.

Yes life, not long to go now. We're both exhausted. I didn't take any commisions this week, but there is so much to finalise before we go, work wise. On top of that my step day went and died 2 weeks back. Me and Mrs Trickster are dealing with it all as my two brothers live too far away. ("next door" in your terms). Once we get on that plane they will have to take over.

A perfect send off would be if the Villa beat the Magpies on sunday. We need the points as we are only just above the drop zone.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 04:26
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I like your notes

I am sorry to hear of your loss Trickster :o(

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I like your notes

Sorry Trickster, but any team named "the Magpies" must be on a winner!!!

England
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I like your notes

Thanks Snodge. He got to 92. Led a full life. Captured at Dunkirk. Spent 5 years as a POW. Married . Widowed. Married my mum. Very active till two weeks before he died.

Navy... Magpies .... Do you have a team down under called that. Play in B/W like Newcastle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
831 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I like your notes

Do they what, Trickster? Carn the Pies!