We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 Degrees Mastercard

Kilmore, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
28 Degrees Mastercard

Hi all. After reading various posts in here I had decided that a Wizard Clear Advantage credit card was the best for use overseas. It appears that Wizard have been sold off and the card is now called a 28 degrees Master card. Does anyone have one of these and what is the verdict if you do?

The interest rate looks a tad steep but I'm looking to load it up with cash before I leave and take advantage of no transaction or currency conversion fees, rather than use it for credit. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

I've only had the 28 Degrees card a short time, but my experience so far is that it uses a competitive exchange rate for foreign currency transactions and there are no additional charges for these.

I also understand - but haven't checked - that if you use it for a cash withdrawal from an overseas bank which is part of the Westpac "Global Alliance", you don't have to pay a withdrawal fee at that ATM.

You'll be aware that 28 Degrees is issued by GE Finance (not a bank but they are a big financier).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

I had a Wizard Clear Advantage credit card which was issued by GE Money.

GE Money sold the Wizard brand and a portion of the Wizard mortgage business, but not the Wizard credit card business.

Effective from 17 November 2010, the Wizard Clear Advantage MasterCard was rebranded to 28 Degrees MasterCard. According to GE Money, "all features and benefits remain the same."

I have loaded up my 28 Degrees MasterCard before going to South America and used it as a debit card. I found it very good for this purpose.

Kilmore, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

thanks for the replies. Thought it looked the same, just want to make sure they hadn't slipped in a few changes or extra fees along with the name change.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

I have the 28 degrees and have tested it against my NAB Gold Debit in the USA, withdrawing the same amount from the same ATM at the same time. 28 degrees did marginally better (by very tiny amounts) but both were very close to the posted bank rates for the day. No additional charges at all except what the blasted USA ATMs charged. NAB Gold Debit is also fee free if you can put $5000 a month through the account, which is easy on holidays. Otherwise $10/month which is still cheap.

Just be aware that if you also use 28 degrees as a CC it draws on the money in credit first.

I travel with both cards.

I have also used my 28degree card to have my son in America get at funds without all the charges usually dumped on bank transfers. He has the second card and I just load up money and he withdraws it. Also good for buying stuff from OS on the web.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,136 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

We used the 28 degrees card as our main card for travel in Turkey & Egypt earlier this year. Great to avoid the international transaction fees our bank charged us last time we travelled. I kept an eye on what we were spending to keep the account in credit & avoid cash advance fees. Did have to top it up a couple (Bpay) of times while we were away!

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

i'm travelling to Europe and intend to load the card up with cash before I go. If I make cash withdrawals does this mean that I am not charged any interest until my deposited cash has been exhausted?

Kilmore, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

Hi Kezza. If I'm reading my statements right, then no, there are no charges at all while your account is still in positive numbers. That is exactly what I have just done in the states and my statement shows only the cash withdrawls at the converted dollar rate (quite favourable here at the moment too!).

Just dont forget to inform them you are travelling overseas. I forgot to tell one of my other banks and trying to unfreeze a card while overseas with no phone with me is a pain in the neck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,136 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

Yes Kezza as Mick says that's exactly how it works:)

Good advice also from Mick to ring & let them know when & where you'll be using the card.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

We have one each (OH and I) - his is used as a credit card for things like hotels, restaurants etc, while mine gets loaded with money for cash withdrawals.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 28 Degrees Mastercard

The 28 Degrees Mastercard sounds great -- but is it available only to Aus citizens or residents? Anyone from another country have experience with getting approved?