We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if you've been in the duty free shops at Melbourne airport. Do they sell cigarettes there?

I'm flying from London with a stop in Singapore and since they're really rigid about this in Singapore, I was thinking of buying the cigarettes once I arrive in Melbourne.

But I cannot find the cigarettes section on the official duty free page of these shops in Melbourne (http://www.firstdutyfree.com.au/default.aspx)

So, do they sell them or not at all?

Thanks!

Mooloolaba...
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

They sell them but due to Australian law they can't advertise them. You will have a limit of 2 cartons.

Oscar

Edited: 31 January 2011, 08:25
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,838 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

You can purchase all duty free items on arriving inbound to Melboune Tullamarine airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

OK! Good to know. Thanks!!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
327 reviews
4. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

Mind you - duty free in Australia is a joke as you only get the GST off the retail price so carton of cigs still around $90. They will be around the alcohol section in a screened off area as they can't be displayed so you may have to ask for directions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll ask in Singapore again about buying them there (being in transit and not leaving the transit area).

By the way, the limit for Australia its 250 cigarettes, right? A carton.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

from an aus gov web site:

"If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 250 cigarettes, or 250 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of where or how they were purchased"

u can buy duty free tobacco products while in transit or leaving changi airport, just not take them into singapore itself.

7. Re: Duty free cigarettes Melbourne airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 19:23