We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne named worlds best sports city

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne named worlds best sports city

…smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/melbourne…

Have been saying this on here for years. The article lists a few events but it is certanny not exclusive. Would just add the only city to ever host both an Olympic Games & a Commonwealth Games & the home of Aussie Rules Footy and the first ever Cricket Test Match.

Just a little proud of our sporting history :-))

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

And now has a Rugby team in the Super 14's

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

Super 15's

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

It is now

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

... and the best (if winning counts) Rugby League team on the planet too. Well done Melbourne, I can say from personal experience, you, in general, also have the best natured spectators I've ever encountered as well.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

Fourb2, thanks for the compliment but I'm guessing you have never been to a Collingwood game. -quickly ducks for cover ;-)) -

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

" only city to ever host both an Olympic Games & a Commonwealth Games

sydney and london as well as melbourne have hosted both.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

Well, the only sports event we attended in Oz was a Pies game....now we are overseas Pies barrackers! When they didn't make the GF a few months ago I made sure to commit a few random acts of neighborhood graffiti and petty larceny. You can bid on the results over at eBay. :-)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

See Navy and Ellen, it isn't just me having fun with the Pies :-))

This point really interested me. A few weeks back a Sydney (DE?) contributor popped onto a Melbourne thread and posted a negative post on a thread about the Melbourne Cup. I didn't really respond to that but I remember thinking at the time that he just did not understand that our culture, history and atmosphere of the city is bound around these sort of events, not only sporting, but it is a major part of who we are. That is why the comment about our crowds is interesting. I think it is all about us being so proud of our sporting culture and consequently, we have huge crowds to all sorts of events who just love being there.

I think that even the non sporting locals like to be quietly proud of having this sort of passion...even though they won't openly say it :-))

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

Yep sorry Lien

I worded that very poorly. You are correct on that point. I should have said the MCG is the only stadium to ever host both games. Well done.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne named worlds best sports city

The game we attended was Collingwood v Fremantle at the G in late June. The game was not well attended according to our host but that was 44,000. This would rate as a major game in the US so yes, MEL is sports-crazy.

Our gracious host was another TA contributor who gave us the VIP treatment along with another father/son from the US planning on the same game by pure coincidence. So he gained four US Pies fans. Now I see the Pies have an American on the roster! However he is from Wisconsin which is known as "America's Dairyland". Cheese, corn, bratwurst, and watery beer are haute cuisine there....so it's also Melbourne's duty to introduce him to real food and grog!

Don't forget the motor part of Melbourne sports....I'm a MotoGP fan and actually knew Phillip Island for the Circuit long before the penguins!