We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

We have been 2 weeks in Sydney and and Manly and would like to check out other cool areas in Australia, which would you recommend Perth, Melbourne? or maybe Fiji or New Zealand?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

I hate to burst your bubble but fiji and new Zealand are countries in their own right....

how lomg do you have and what floats your boat?

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

It depends on what you're looking for. Perth is great, but some distance away...maybe Queenstown in New Zealand if you want adventure and top scenery...Cairns to see the Great Barrier Reef and something of the tropic north.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

Melbourne for the autumn colours, clear autumn days, not to cold, but definitely a cool place to hang out at the bars and shopping, plus a few not to be missed places to visit.

How many days were you thinking of.

you can easily drive down the south-east coast of New South Wales, visit Canberra - great Art Gallery , War Museum and Parliament house- back to the coast or on up through the mopuntains.

Bright is another beautiful autimn place to stop over.

Or stay on the coast all the way to Melbourne. If you are not rushed for time take 4-5 days to enjoy.

If you are rushed, then fly and enjoy Melbourne at its best.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

Are you looking for beaches? In which case I would suggest QLD - probably far north queensland (Cairns/Port Douglas) but that's only because I had such an awesome time when I was there.

If you are looking for another city I would suggest Melbourne. Great bars, cafes, restaurants, shopping plus you can go to the GOR and check out the coastal road.

Let us know how long you have and what your interests are.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

I'd also say Melbourne or Canberrra

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

Hello we have 1 to 2 weeks to spent. We are not interested in a city. We would like somewhere adventureous, with nice beaches, somewhere we could fly from Sydney with not spending too much money and we would still like it to be warm.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

If you can get a reasonably priced airfare, it sounds like Cairns (or one of the beach resorts just north of Cairns) is the place you are looking for. Queenstown would be good, but it will be cool.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,383 posts
1,537 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

Hi Locaxviajar,

On your topic post you did ask for a " Cool City "

You are best to fly to Cairns if you want beaches and warm temperature.

or for National Parks - Darwin.

9. Re: which cool city to go to other than Sydney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 02:17