We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tas short visit help please

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tas short visit help please

We are coming to Tasmania in August and need ideas for places to visit please.

We land in Hobart at 13.30 on day 1, pick up a car and need to be in Ulverstone on day 3, ie 2 nights en route. We love scenery (dramatic if possible!), wildlife, history, are prepared to do short-ish walks and don't mind driving.

Any help with where to visit/stay is most appreciated - I know we only have a short time but we want to make the most of it - we promise to visit for longer next time!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tas short visit help please

Tasman Peninsula and Freycinet Peninsula would cover history, wildlife and scenery.

There's the Port Arthur historic site and a wildlife park with Tasmanian Devils and a variety of walks on the Tasman Peninsula.

Freycinet has wonderful scenery and I think there may be a wildlife park near there as well. Where we stayed we encountered wallabies and possums outside our cabin. Or if you stay in nearby Bicheno you could see the penguins.

Cradle Mountain would be fantastic but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to include it in such a short trip, and in winter.

I'm curious, why Ulverstone?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tas short visit help please

Thanks very much MacKnee, you've confirmed what I thought from my research. Tasman Peninsula, Freycinet and Bicheno seem to tick all the boxes, but I wanted to make sure we weren't going to miss anywhere I hadn't come across.

Why Ulverstone? Because we have friends we haven't seen for 20 years who live there! I hope we will visit Cradle Mountain with them.

A couple more questions for you, please. Will we need to book ahead for accommodation in the middle of August? We're thinking of B&B's but are not sure where we'll end up so I wasn't going to book. Also what time will it get dark?

Really looking forward to our trip to Oz - only 13 sleeps until we leave cold, windy and wet NW England - even if the weather is similar over with you, it'll all be new and different!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tas short visit help please

cold windy and wet will be Tassy also.

prob not as cold as NW uk,maybe,maybe not!! be prepared though.

You will start to lose light approx 5pm, depending if the day is fine or not.

Bicheno, I can suggest Diamond Island Resort, although not B and B, just have a look anyway, and email them direct for any deals.

The view is just lovely.

www.diamondisland.com.au

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tas short visit help please

A couple of other highlights are Strahan and Binalong Bay but for your timeframe and interests I thought the Tasman Peninsula and the Freycinet area seemed the best. We didn't stay in B&B's so I can't give any suggestions there. So I'm bumping your query back to the top and hopefully someone else may be able to help you there. I'm glad you might have the opportunity to see Cradle Mountain later with your friends. Btw while in Hobart try to get up Mount Wellington. There should be snow up there (there was still snow in spring when we were there) and if it's a sunny day it's just magical!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tas short visit help please

Thanks everybody - don't know why this topic was posted twice, but I appreciate all the responses.

Our now (tentative) itinerary is land 13.30, pick up car, drive as far as possible up Mt Wellington for views, down to Hobart, see Battery Point area etc then head E to Tasman Peninsula and maybe ghost walk at Port Arthur, stay somewhere around there. Is this doable in the timeframe? Is Port Arthur worth the extra miles?

Day 2 up E coast to Freycinet, walk there, to Bicheno for penguins, stay somewhere there then head up to Ulverstone on day 3.

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received!

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tas short visit help please

I am going to have to disagree - leave out Port Arthur

It is an overnight journey in its own right!

From Hobart head up the east coast stay east coast

then head to cradle via swansea/mathina and head to to cradle mountain

stay in the deloraine/sheffield devonport area

even then thats a LOT of driving - but should be nice and pleasant

given that you are wanting to make the most have a think about staying at

http://www.mountainvalley.com.au/cabins.html

purely for the Devils and wildlife - may be best to call them and see what beasties are around

If you are mega keen about Port Arthur - do the chapel in Hobart instead :)

Trust me you will have a better time than trying to cram in Port Arthur!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tas short visit help please

I agree - you don't have time to do justice to Port Arthur. By the time you collect your car, drive up Mt Wellington and look around Hobart there will be very little left of your first day. Perhaps you could either overnight in Hobart or head to Richmond.

A lovely B & B in Bicheno is Old Tramroad B & B. Check out the reviews on TA.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tas short visit help please

Hi please read, my other reply on your other post.

In the short time you have, I also agree with above recommendations. On our trip 3-14 aug, we are free wheeling it around after first 2 nights in Hobart. (nothing prebooked) Mainly because of weather factors (see other reply).

A good site for accomm is www.discovertasmania.com.au. Most B&b's listed along with every other budget line. I have made a list of all possible accom, in towns I think we may be likely to stay, and have their phone no's. to contact, though i realise m/phones don't work too well around tassie.

Enjoy and don't forget the camera!

Cheers

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tas short visit help please

Thankyou, thankyou all! Great suggestions - that's what I love about this site; you get really practical help and you're all obviously on my wavelength.

Thanks also for website links, I'm going to enjoy surfing over the next few days.

10. Re: Tas short visit help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 17:22