We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

10 posts
E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Hello folks,

I plan on going to Australia 2nd week in August 2018. I would like to know when I apply for my e-visitor visa a few weeks before can I book a one way flight from Dublin-Melbourne, then around 11 weeks (3 month duration) book a flight from Melbourne to New Zealand?

My plan is to do some travelling to see my family, they are all over Australia and NZ, after maybe 11 weeks fly to NZ for a week or two to see my cousin, Then fly back to Australia for another 3 months?

Can I book one way from Dublin-Melbourne, and at the same time book Melbourne-Auckland?

Will the e-visitor application allow this? my plan is to spend around 6 months in all in Australia, be that from two seperate trips 2 or 3 weeks apart.

Thanks alot

12 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Apply for your visa now. It doesn’t require flight information at all.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Sorry meant to say, you will need proof of onward travel in order to enter NZ. So book your flights before trying to enter there.

Probably easier if you book everything before you leave Europe that way you can prove you intend to leave within the terms of your visa

10 posts
3. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Thank you for your reply Amo, I do plan on booking all my flights and stuff before leaving, I do not want to apply for my evisitor visa just yet as i want to keep as much of the 12 month period for travelling in and out, I do not know for sure if ill take 9 months or 6 within that 12 month period.

My plan is to apply for my visa in early July, from there if accepted book my one way flight from dublin-melbourne, and another flight from melbourne-NZ and back to melbourne, hopefully for another 3 months. With that ill have my proof of my departure from Australia although only briefly a week or 2.

Is this something I can do? thanks again for your reply.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

You can get a six month tourist visa so you wouldn't need to pay more for your flights.

London - Australia - NZ - London booked as one flight will be cheaper than singles....

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Well you can do that as long as you realise it may not be granted in time and buying one way tickets at the last minute tend to be hideously expensive.

Flexibility comes at a cost.

You may get more rigorous questions on subsequent visits from immigration if you stay the full 3 months, leave for a short period and repeat over and over.

They want to establish you will have sufficient funds to support yourself during each stay without being a burden on the state or resorting to working illegally and that you will leave

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

You can even get a 12 month tourist visa..... then you can do this legally, without question, and cost you less in flights - (a) as long as you can afford the visa, as it is not free and (b) you have sufficient funds to convince immigration that you can support yourself while there and are not intending to work.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. Australia Border Control is very strict and suspicious, since they have so many illegal immigrants....

10 posts
7. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

Thank you for your replies guys, I have looked at longer visa options and i dont think they suit, Originally I plan on 3 months or just a bit less, in that 3 months I plan on travelling the country seeing family and friends, after the course of that time I hoped i could go to NZ for a week or more to see my cousin who lives there then return to Aus with hope of finding a sponsorship, I also read that I could voluteer myself to work for free if available. I will have the funds to last 6 months and have family to help me if needed. The 6 month/12 month visa needs alot of extra info and too much runaround for me. Do any of you have information on working voluntarily in Australia? at this moment im in the process of finishing my whitecard online, this basically is to show potential employers/sponsors that im very keen on getting sponsored.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,053 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

I stand to be corrected by Luigi, but I'm fairly sure that even to work as a volunteer you would need a visa which allows you to work, ie, not the normal free e-visitor.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
73 reviews
9. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

I will also stand to be corrected by Luigi, but I think sponsorship has to be arranged before you come to Australia.

I suggest you look at the sponsorship rules. My step daughter was sponsored and she had to be out of the country at the time of her application.

Are you too old for a working holiday visa? That gives you 12 months, with the possibility of another 12 months. Then you can work to help your budget and not have any potential issues with funding or voluntary work.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?

No you can’t do any kind of work whether paid or not on an eVisitor Visa. You can do some studying but that is limited.

What are you really trying to do here? Migrate? Try to organise a work visa? Doesn’t sound like it’s for your typical tourist visit. Have you looked at the WHV?

Reply to: E-visitor Visa and one way booking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted