We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

I applied for an ETA a week back for my wife and mine on the following site for a one month Australia trip;

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Immi

We are traveling on June 6 and a bit nervous as we have bought tickets and have paid thousands of dollar on hotel reservations and in country flights. We have received acknowledgement but no further information if our application is complete - in support all it asked was a copy of our passport which we uploaded.

Any feedback on other folks experience on how soon we should get our visa and how to follow-up - it seems to be in a black hole as there is no information on how to follow-up.

Thx

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
7 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

I assume you’ve logged back into your Immi account and had a look there. Applications can take from minutes to months. It’s why we always recommend getting Visas, ETA’s before booking anything non refundable, particularly if there’s anything in your history that may hold up your application.

All the best.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,372 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Use the "Check an ETA" tab on this page to see what progress there is: https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

Seattle
Level Contributor
308 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Does the "acknowledgement" include a reference number for each of you? Mine was a year ago but I didn't get anything official looking beyond the #. I printed the conformation, payment receipt, and confirmation # and stuck it in my passport...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Thanks everyone for your responses. - I do not think there is anything in our background - we are well traveled, last year we did 2 month SE Asia - 10 countries, 16 cities.

Luigi A

South Pacific

- I did check on the site you mentioned and get the following message;

"There has been no application for an ETA through this site with the data and reference number you supplied.

Note:

The system will only be able to retrieve your details if you input the data exactly as you did in your original application. This is designed to protect your privacy".

We submitted at the this site - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Immi

We did get an acknowledgement and reference number.

NK

Mentioned in this post
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,372 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Submit an application on the site I linked to.

The site you posted (which is the correct starting point) should have taken you directly to it anyway once you entered your nationality and travel purpose.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Thanks Luigi,

We did go to your recommended site and as soon as we hit the pay button we received the ETA - thanks a lot and you been a great help.

NK.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,372 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen

Enjoy your trip. :)

Reply to: How much time it takes for an Australian ETA for USA citizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted