We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia

Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Western Australia

Hi, I am doing Australia in Dec. Im very much aware of the wet seasons and the school holidays coming up around that time of year. I am initially basing myself in perth and ending up in Sydney.

Ive got 7-8 days free in WA. I had planned to do Monkey Mia and Coral Bay in those 7 days but its not viable before christmas- so can anyone recommend on what to do?

I had hoped to go in clockwise direction from Perth to Broome to Darwin, Cairns and Sydney, but in order to include Monkey Mia and Coral Bay after Christmas, Id have to go in the opposite direction and head back towards Perth and then head towards Cairns and Sydney.

Any suggestions on what way to go? I have thought about leaving out Monkey Mia and Coral Bay but the two places, have always been in the plan on this trip.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Western Australia, Australia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Broome
Broome
Kimberley Region, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
9 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,077 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Australia

"Ive got 7-8 days free in WA. I had planned to do Monkey Mia and Coral Bay in those 7 days but its not viable before christmas- so can anyone recommend on what to do?"

It is hard to know what yo suggest without knowing what you already plan to do in WA. Look at south of Perth if that his note already in your itinerary.

Sorry but I don't understand the rest of your query. I makes no sense to me.

How much time do you have in total and what is your overall itinerary?

Edited: 14 May 2018, 07:45
Mentioned in this post
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Australia

Why are Coral Bay/Exmouth not viable?

These places do not have a wet season ( unlike say Cairns and Broome which are further north). It will be hot and dry at Monkey Mia and Coral Bay.

visitningaloo.com.au/welcome-to-exmouth/clim…

There may be a slight risk of cyclone activity around Exmouth, though historically this is more likely in March than December.

Alternatively, as mentioned, look south to Margaret River Region, Albany and/or Esperance which are all suitable for a 7 day road trip. All fabulous parts of Australia.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 09:34
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Broome
Broome
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Albany
Albany
Esperance
Esperance
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Australia

Your post is very confusing. You need to include your whole itinerary and timeframe (including where you're spending Christmas) for us to understand and help you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Australia

Yes I agree, it is all the more confusing based on your other topic regarding Monkey Mia and Broome - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k1…

If you are already budget conscious, i don’t see how expanding your holiday to include the other cities in Australia will help with this.

With regards to Monkey Mia and Coral Bay, consider doing a tour. You mention you have already been to Bunbury and Margaret River but the conditions down south would be better at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Broome
Broome
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Margaret River
Margaret River
Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Australia

Thanks guys for the replies, sorry for the confusion! Will be in WA on the 14th Dec I don’t know how long I am staying in WA as I can be flexible. Will go home on 14th February 2019 from Sydney but will be exploring cairns during the trip too.

My Planned itinerary

14th Dec 2018. Arrive in Perth. Explore.

17th Dec. fly to Monkey Mia and stay 2 nights there.

19th Dec. Travel by coach to Coral Bay and spend 2 nights there.

21st Dec Travel by coach again to Broome.

(I’ve no problem flying to monkey Mia on the 17th Dec but the issue is that Monkey Mia flights only flies to Perth as far as I know- so I decided to go by coach for the rest of the way towards Broome but the coach company have recently changed their schedule for Christmas It meant I couldn’t go on the dates I wanted otherwise it would have been perfect.)

22nd Dec- 2nd Jan Broome.

2nd Jan- ? cairns

2nd -14th Feb Sydney

14th feb 2019 leaving Sydney/ Australia.

Revised itinerary

14th Dec 2018 Arrive in Perth Explore Perth and it’s surroundings. (7-8 days I mentioned earlier)

22nd Dec fly to Broome spend 12-13 days there (including Christmas and New Year)

3rd Jan 2019 Coral Bay 1-2 nights?

5th Jan Monkey Mia 2 nights

7th Jan fly from Monkey Mia to Perth. Spend 2 nights in Perth?

9th Jan Fly to Cairns spend a week there maybe.

16th Jan Travel to whitsundays and other towns by car.

2nd Feb be in Sydney for the rest of the trip.

14th Feb 2019 leaving Australia

The revised itinerary has a lot of gaps and travels at the moment! I’m trying to make every moment count as it may be my last trip to Australia due to circumstances at home.

I hope I make more sense now cos I appreciate your help

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Broome
Broome
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Australia

Bumping your post up to the top so others can see it. I think it’s dropped down without comment because of the title (it’s actually an Australia wide trip as opposed to just WA) and it’s in the head forum.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Australia

Yes- good idea to bump to comment on revised itinerary.

So WA- if at all possible and you have recovered from jet lag then maybe consider a short ( say 3 nights) road trip to the Margaret River region. Or have you already been?

The bookend of Perth. Suggest first time stay around Fremantle ( proximity to beaches, ferry to Rottnest plus other attractions) then one night in Perth CBD at end of trip enough.

Perhaps post a separate Broome question on the WA forum so our Broome expert, Sue, can comment and give suggestions. You will be aware that tours may not run? Visitor Centre will help.

Yes- 2 nights Coral Bay since you are doing the bus.

You’ve checked on the flights from Monkey Mia? Shark Bay Visitor Centre can help with providing information about availability of tours then.

Jetstar from Perth to Cairns? Check their schedule.

Many on the forum suggest Port Douglas over Cairns ( or do both). I really enjoyed the Atherton Tablelands for contrast in landscape to WA.

Whitsundays- haven’t been but gather it’s about sailing. Remember there’s heaps of wonderful white sandy beaches in Australia and not just that one in the brochures.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 09:43
Mentioned in this post
Margaret River
Margaret River
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Broome
Broome
Monkey Mia
Monkey Mia
293 Reviews
Shark Bay
Shark Bay
291 Reviews
Denham, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Atherton Tablelands
Atherton Tablelands
559 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western Australia

thanks Guys again for the replies. How do I bump the post? I didn't realise that is what I have to do. Will take on some of your ideas thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western Australia

You’ve already bumped it by replying. It moves it back up on to the first page.

Reply to: Western Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted