We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Santos
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Hi guys,

Today is May 13 and my flight to Australia departs on May 22. I have a passport from Brazil and I just learned I need a tourist visa (subclass 600), which is the only type of visa I can have as a tourist because of my passport. I know, super dumb mistake.

Anyhow, I went online to check processing times and it says 75% is ready in 17 days and 90% is ready in 29 days. However, there's an asterisk saying "Processing times range from 48 hours to more than 20 days depending on factors such as peak processing periods in a particular location."

I've been reading online and some people have been successful getting a Visitor visa 600 in 10 days, but Unfortunately I can't reschedule or refund my flights to Australia. And I don't wanna risk losing the money I paid so i'm thinking of a plan B, which is: getting an onward ticket to New Zealand (I don't need a visa to NZ) and apply for an Australian transit visa, which seems to be issued much faster.

My question is: can I apply for an Australian transit visa AND a Visitor visa (subclass 600) at the same time? If the visitor visa is issued before my departure date, perfect, I'll just keep my travel plans to Australia. If not, I have the backup transit visa which would still allow me to board my current flight.

Thank you so much!

17 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

So, have you applied yet?

Santos
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

No, I haven't applied yet for any type of Visa. Waiting for you guys to shed some light.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

That's one day lost. Apply now.

Santos
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Ok, but can I apply for an Australian transit visa AND a Visitor visa (subclass 600) at the same time?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

How do you intend to apply for the Transit visa - which requires your attendance at an Embassy during their business hours? Whereas you can apply now on line for a Visitor visa.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Well I would apply online for the 600 visa now

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav

Santos
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

But I'm worried one might cancel the other or they might not allow/create an issue with two types of visas being requested at the same time for the same travel. That's my concern.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Yes, it's a genuine concern. But they can';t be requested at the same time. One is an on line application; the other requires personal attendance. You can apply for a Visitor visa NOW. Do it.

Santos
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Just applied for the Visa, let's hope for the best! Thanks guys!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently

Fingers crossed. :)

Reply to: Visitor visa (subclass 600) needed urgently
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted