We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Australia in July/August

Gujarat, India
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling to Australia in July/August

Hello guys, my brother just invited me to vist him. As i got vacations i think this is the best time for me to travelling(alone).. i am at the early stage of planning.. as i study and do business i dont get other time for travelling. As i just saw its getting colder in Australia. I am from india. Visting family in sydney, melbourne.. which is the best places to visit in july/august.? What you guys suggest??

I think 1000aud will be enough for stay of 1 month.. i will be staying at my brother’s.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
The Falls Montville
The Falls Montville
#1 of 3 hotels in Montville
Bli Bli House Riverside Retreat
Bli Bli House Riverside Retreat
#1 of 2 hotels in Diddillibah
Pinetrees Lodge
Pinetrees Lodge
#1 of 6 hotels in Lord Howe Island
3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Australia in July/August

The simple answer is up north where is it warm and dry. Cairns/port Douglas. Darwin and the surrounding areas. However, while it might be fine if you stay a month with your brother and spend no money, $1000 is not going to get you very far if you are sightseeing. Unless your brother is paying for that as well.

Make sure you get a visa well in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Australia in July/August

$1000 for 30 days is $30 per day. If you are just staying with family and they are paying for your meals, that should be OK. However, if you want to visit places (eg a one day trip to the Great Ocean Road), that is going to put a severe dent in your cash. Three such trips plus a flight from Melbourne to Sydney and more than half your money is gone.

Work out what you are paying for. Accommodation starts at $40 per night in a shared hostel dorm. Buying your own food will cost $30-$100 per day (cheaper price is buying groceries and cooking for yourself). Public transport in the cities ranges from $9 per day (Melb) to $15 per day (Syd). Entry fees to attractions, tour costs etc can all be found online.

In July, the weather is ideal to visit the Red Centre and northern Australia. Uluru is very expensive. Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef is popular, but a trip to the reef for snorkelling will cost you over $200. To get to these places, you will also need to pay for flights (or spend many hours on a greyhound bus). Car hire may also be needed in some places.

You need to work out where you want to go, what you want to do and the costs of getting there and doing it. Your $1000 budget will only work if your family members are covering the cost of meals and accommodation, and you are not visiting very many locations or attractions.

Mentioned in this post
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,151 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Uluru
Uluru
3,762 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Australia in July/August

>>Visting family in sydney, melbourne.. which is the best places to visit in july/august.? _i will be staying at my brother’s..<<

Further north is warmer. Sydney is alright. Melbourne is colder. It depends on what sort of vacation you want and what you want to see and what activities you want to do and what sort of clothes you will wear.

Your relatives should be able to tell you more. We are happy to help you but you have the ability to more easily find out basic information yourself from people who know you. If you want our advice you need to explain in more detail what you need. We cannot simply suggest what is 'best'.

Did you intend to stay with your brother for the whole month? Where is your brother? You cannot stay with your brother in one city and simply 'visit' the other city. They are too far apart.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Reply to: Travelling to Australia in July/August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted