We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Advise LHR - MEL

Hereford, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Flight Advise LHR - MEL

Hi all,

I'm about to book flights for my third trip to Australia. I have come up with two options

A) Normal flights with as short layover as possible

B) Pay £150 extra for flights with a 12 hour layover in shanghai on the way, and a 9 hour layover in LA on the way back, then use this time to see as much of each city as possible within that time.

I would appreciate any feedback please, I'm concerned Option B may not be realistic?

Thanks!

All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
1,036 Reviews
from USD 163.20*
Great Barrier Reef Diving and...
694 Reviews
from USD 122.40*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,644 Reviews
from USD 124.60*
9 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

FWIW I don't think the layovers in option B are long enough to see much of those cities and justify the extra expense

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

It is a bit of misconception that a layover will let you see a city. Singapore being an exception BUT Shanghai pudong airport is over 30km from the city and can take over an hour to get to the city centre. Don't start me on LAX, I've had more pleasant experience visiting my dentist.

So while it is doable. What you will see or can see is questionable, especially if the arrival time is not helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

If you want to do a stop over I’d look for other options. LA airport is a nightmare- by the time you get through customs, etc and allow time to get back through security you won’t have much time to explore. I wouldn’t waste the extra expense or travel time.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

My daughter and I had an 8 hour stopover in Singapore which allowed us to do a 2 hour city tour. Any less than 8 hours and they wouldn't book you on it. I don't think it helps with jet lag, and a couple of hours in a city doesn't show you much, either. I'd go for option A.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

LA is a dump. I’d only stop there if I was desperate. Singapore would be much better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

I actually enjoyed my brief stop in LA years ago, but my layover was 24 hours, so I got to spend a night there. I spent my whole time in Santa Monica, and just hung around there for the day. It is a big city, and the attractions are spread out all over the place. In your limited time, you have no hope of seeing very much. Just pick one place, see that and then head back to the airport.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 12:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,704 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

Book A and spend the 150 quid on a nice hotel/meal in Melbourne (be careful Shanghai doesn't require a expensive visa).

And get your visa now

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

+1 book option A

Melbourne
Level Contributor
246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Advise LHR - MEL

As others have pointed out, I'd suggest you really can't do much in either city if you only have hours. But we've stopped in Shanghai on each of our last two trips (Melbourne to New York and Melbourne to Frankfurt), the second time for just two nights and taking advantage of the "no visa required if you leave within three days" arrangement (check your passport is suitable for this; we found it at this site: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/). And given Shanghai is close to Australian time, stopping there on the way over will mean you're possibly in a better state when you arrive here ... after an 11 hour flight!

Reply to: Flight Advise LHR - MEL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted