We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term caravan rental

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Long term caravan rental

Hi All,

Looking at travelling oz with my husband and young daughter (3yrs old).

We are looking at long term caravan rental.. it is possible to do for around 10 months?

Or am I better buying and selling on at the end? I’m sure there are risks with both. I’m finding it hard to confirm how easy it is to buy a caravan not being Australian or having a permanent address. Any advice welcome

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term caravan rental

Caravan or campervan?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term caravan rental

You can also look at website like Gumtree and there will be listings of both caravan and campervan but you will need a car to tow a caravan so that extra expenses. If you are going to get a second hand one make sure you do some research beforehand so that you can check for any defects yourself (leaks, electrics and plumbing) and learn how to do some running repairs.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term caravan rental

Are you sure you want a caravan? Are you used to driving one?

You'll probably be better off with a campervan.

There are also regulations about buying a vehicle in one state and selling it another, which you will need to research, as there can be extra issues with that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term caravan rental

On the bit of search I’ve done, caravans seem more cost effective thank a camper van. So was thinking a caravan.

We’ll be travelling with a 3 year old so I also need to ensure we are able to puta car seat in too.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term caravan rental

Your car seat will go in the Car you buy, not the caravan. Are you sure you have researched this?

Many caravans are set up for couples so the market for family vans is quite small, and a family van is going t be much bigger, andyou probably require a r with 3.5 tonne towing capacity. You need to take all of this in to account.

There are plenty of caravan sales places in major centres.

Have a look at Jayco - they are at the lower end quality wise, but extremely popular (like buying a Hyundai instead of a Merc) and their sevice is excellent. They also make a lot of family vans.

Towing vehicles - look at a Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser, Mazda BT50 or Ford Ranger. Make sure it has tow brakes.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term caravan rental

You have to add to the towing vehicle into the equation before you look at cost effectiveness. A suitable car/4WD is not cheap and I wouldn't want a cheap one with your kid in the back seat. Also towing a caravan is not a trival exercise, hope you have done it before. Learning to do it in a foreign land is not much fun. Campervan is all in one so it does have its advantages.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term caravan rental

You have to be really careful with the economics on this buying v renting and campervan v car/caravan. Many locals do the 4WD/caravn thing chasing the sun (grey nomads but they don't have young children with them) but over a number of years so the numbers can work out. Just buying/selling after 10 months can be a problem.

It is always easy to buy in say Perth but can you sell in Sydney ?

And a lot depends on where you want to go eg sealed roads, campsites, free camping, where in Australia ?

Buying/hiring a good campervan plus camping stuff/tent needs to considered.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term caravan rental

The first thing is that a caravan plus a suitable vehicle to tow it, will be more expensive than a campervan especially for 10 months. It comes down to a question of economics for you i the end and if you want to pack up and leave, handing back a hired van and car with no worries about selling it. You will always be able to sell these cars/ vans/ not so sure about caravans as easily - but it all comes down to price and cutting your losses.

Towing costs for a caravan will also be larger generally as you will require more fuel if the van is heavy. You could find that you use a minimum of 15 litres per 100km. With petrol and diesel at around $1.5 per litre thats getting expensive. Towing also restricts you to places unless you buy a specific off road van which can take unsealed roads.

Normal vans tdo not cope with being rattled around on dirt roads and they will disintegrate before your eyes.

You will also need a vehicle to tow that has dual battery, and good suspension etc. Second hand 4wd which are set up for towing are modified and are expensive even second hand. For something that has been looked after maybe at least 7 plus years old could be $25,ooo plus.

I get the need for a caravan as you do get good space etc. How about a camper trailer ?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term caravan rental

Camper trailer set up pack down can get a bit tedious, but it wouod certainly be a chesp and flexible option.

Head over to thegreynomads.com.au forum who will give you a lot of info on caravans, parks, tow vehicles etc.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a Jeep.

Jeep Parts availability is notoriously bad in Australia.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,185 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term caravan rental

Post #4 suggests you are confused by the local terminology. A caravan is towed by a car; a campervan is self-powered.

You cannot travel inside a caravan ever, so you do not need child car seats for it.

You need child car seat for the tow car, or the campervan, if that's what you get.

Reply to: Long term caravan rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted