We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Hi All,

My wife and I , who are both in our late 60's are travelling to Darwin on The Ghan in three weeks time, can't wait.

We will then be staying in Darwin for 7 days and would really appreciate your advice on what you consider to be the best one day excursions out of Darwin on an organised tour.

Thank you in advance

Robert

10 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

You really won't do that area justice by doing day trips from Darwin. I suggest you hire a car and spend at least 2-3 nights in Kakadu, 1 night in Litchfield NP and 2 nights in Katherine.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,989 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Having been to Darwin a couple of times, I’d say that 7 days there is pretty long. Do you have an itinerary of things to see and do there for all that time? (I like Cromansydney’s plan.)

If you only plan to do day trips from Darwin, make it Litchfield NP. Note—One day tours to Kakadu are offered but that’s a lot of time on a bus for only a little time in the park.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 10:51
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
190 reviews
3. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Several companies do run longer tours which cover Kakadu and Litchfield and some include Katherine. You would need say 2 days just in Darwin visiting the main sites. a lot will depend on what your interests are then take a 3 to 5 day tour depending on what tours will have vacancies on the dates that you are here.

A few options are here https:/…tours There are cheaper tours but they are aimed more at the backpacker market.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

If you want to only do one day tours then you could easily do Litchfield.

Also the Sealink trip to the Tiwi Islands is great- a beautiful day on the water over to the Tiwis.

You could also do a trip to do the jumping croc on the Adelaide River and a Wetlands cruise.

That is three days covered. HOwever, you could also do these ( except Tiwi) by self driving.

Kakadu day trip is 7-8 hours in the bus alone on one day and is really not giving you a look at the good stuff.

The same with Katherine- it is a 3 hour straight drive one way. However- you may be stopping anyway there ?

For some excitement there is also the OUtback Float Adventure.

Another day trip you could do is Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Springs- I think there are buses that do that tour- or self drive once more is terribly simple.

You can also do a ferry trip to Crab Claw Island on a weekend day. Google it may or may not be your thing.

Then there are some great sunset harbour tours, or bombing of darwin cruises etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
5. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Thank you very much hamiriver for those suggestions.

As we have already booked into a hotel for 6 nights we are interested in one days tours.

Do you suggest booking before we leave Melbourne or booking when we arrive in Darwin ?

Regards

Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
6. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Thank you LsBob for your reply.

Regards

Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
7. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Thank you Cromans for your response.

As we've already booked a hotel for 6 nights we're limited to one day trips but your suggestions sound good for next time.

Regards

Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
8. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Thank you Longhorn for your response.

In particular the info on the one day trip to Kakadu is very helpful.

Regards

Robert

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Robert- if you are here mid June ie around 16th there are V8 supercars on so things will be a bit busy. However, in saying that most of the people should be at the cars.

June is getting busy up for visitors- so , maybe look at booking the Litchfield one that you find as that is very popular to visit there. There is a great cultural based tour from litchfield indigenous tours or then there are a raft of others that do all the same spots.

Check out offtheleash website for what else is on in Darwin- event wise.

Will you hire a car ? It is the best way to get around in all honesty. Days are still warm- in low 30's so walking in the heat of the day does wear people out who are not used to it . Driving is pretty straight forward up here.

Hunt around for better rates, but look at ntstandby website.

some other of my suggestions for our visiting rellies :

https://www.yourcentre.com.au/#!/events

Markets- Mindil - ( but not a fave of mine ) Parap on a Saturday

Nightcliff foreshore for a picnic dinner at the jetty from the little caravan Needle in a Haystack on Tues- Fri night

Dinner at the sailing club

Pearl lugger sunset cruise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
191 reviews
10. Re: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018

Thank you hamiriver for all of the information that you've provided, it's been invaluable.

We'll be in Darwin the first week of June, so we'll miss the V8 fans.

Will definitely follow up on the information you've given me.

If you ever need any advice on Melbourne/Victoria don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Robert :)

Reply to: Staying In Darwin For 7 Days in June 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted