We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring food to Australia?

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Can I bring food to Australia?

Hi guys, I will be returning from New Zealand to Singapore, transiting in Australia. The problem is however, we booked different tickets for the flights and our lugagge will probably not be checked through, and so we'll have to go through the custom during the transit in Australia.

We're planning to bring some souvenirs from New Zealand back (chocolates, honey etc). Is it possible that these items can get through the custom with declaration?

Thanks a million.

Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
791 reviews
from USD 166.70*
Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour...
1,406 reviews
from USD 104.70*
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
746 reviews
from USD 161.00*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,176 reviews
from USD 131.20*
5 replies to this topic
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring food to Australia?

Declare everything.

Honey is generally not allowed. Commercial chocolate is usually not a problem.

If you declare everything then they will remove from your possession anything you are not allowed to bring into Australia and you will suffer no further penalty.

Cheers,UF

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring food to Australia?

On seperate tickets, you'll be entering Australia and clearing immigration, customs and quarantine. As the PP says declare your food items. The honey will likely be confiscated. Perhaps post this home from NZ.

Hope you've left plenty of time between the 2 flights and have visas to enter Australia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring food to Australia?

Don't even try to bring/post/ship honey or bee products into Australia from anywhere. We even had a sealed jar of Perth honey, bought from a Broome supermarket, seized by customs when we brought it back to Perth.

At present Australia is somewhat of an ark for bees, exporting thousands of queen bees to Europe every northern spring to supplement their dwindling north hemisphere populations due to terrible losses from disease.

Dont bring in raw seeds, leaves, soil matter or dried/deli meats and cheeses.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring food to Australia?

If the food not allowed into Aus is particularly important to you, or very valuable, consider posting it directly home to Singapore from NZ (obeying all the relevant rules, of course)

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring food to Australia?

Got it. Thanks all for the answers!

Cheers.

Reply to: Can I bring food to Australia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted