We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour of western sicily

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
tour of western sicily

I am hoping to do a tour of south/eastern sicily and then want to base myself for a week or so in the west. I am a sole traveller and am thinking of basing in Palermo and doing trips from there. Where should I go?

8 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,731 posts
1. Re: tour of western sicily

Hi disee43,

Palermo is a transportation hub, and a very convenient base for day trips.

There are three bus options from Palermo to Monreale, the AMAT #389, AST, and Palermo City Sightseeing; AMAT #806 or Palermo City Sightseeing to Mondello; the train or SAIS Trasporti to Cefalù; SAIS Autolinee or the train to Enna; SAIS Autolinee to Piazza Armerina, and then local bus to the Villa Romana; Autoservizi Cuffaro bus service, or the train from Palermo to Agrigento, and then take the local Trasporti Urbani Agrigento bus service from Agrigento to the Valley of the Temples; Autolinee Gallo to Sciacca; Autoservizi Salemi to Castelvetrano, and then take the Autoservizi Salemi tratte urbane bus service from Castelvetrano to Selinunte; Tarantola Bus from Palermo to Segesta; Autoservizi Salemi to Marsala; Segesta Autolinee to Trapani and then AST or Azienda Trasporti e Mobilita' Trapani (ATM) and the funivia from Trapani to Erice; the train or AST to Bagheria/Solunto/Santa Flavia; AST, SAIS Trasporti (Autolinee Gallo), or Autoservizi Stassi to Corleone; Autoservizi Russo to Castellammare del Golfo; Autoservizi Russo to San Vito Lo Capo; SAIS Autolinee to Catania; Interbus to Siracusa; Siremar to Ustica; Segesta Autolinee to Trapani and then Ustica Lines or Siremar to the Egadi Islands.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: tour of western sicily

Many thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,731 posts
3. Re: tour of western sicily

Prego disee43,

Which destinations does your tour include?

Monreale and Cefalù are the more popular day trips from Palermo.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: tour of western sicily

Hi The tour I am looking at is only on the south/east part of Sicily from Messino down the coast to Scoglitti, which is why I'd like to see more, that is the western part. So I was thinking of catching a bus from Catania to Palermo (or ??) It will be in June so would it be nicer to be staying on a beach and doing day trips from there. Any suggestions for an active 70+ solo lady???

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,731 posts
5. Re: tour of western sicily

So the tour would begin in Messina, and end in Scoglitti, or Catania?

Montalbano themes??

Palermo is a port city, and not a beach destination.

You might base in Palermo and day trip to Cefalù, or your might base in Cefalù (charming beach resort town), and day trip to Palermo.

And then also consider Trapani for Western Sicily, and some time in San Vito Lo Capo, but Trapani is the more convenient base for touring and exploring Western Sicily.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: tour of western sicily

Hi It actually starts in Catania, goes down to Scoglitti and back to Catania (7 days)

Yes I was thinking of Trapani, but a beach like Cefalu sounds lovely.

Many thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,731 posts
7. Re: tour of western sicily

How many days are you contemplating on your own disee43?

You might enjoy both a base in Cefalù to see Palermo, and then a base in Trapani.

And then even day trip to the Egadi.

Vagabonda

Edited: 16 November 2018, 13:46
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: tour of western sicily

Hi, yes they are the two I think suit me best, also mentioned was Masala (which has facilities for day trips from there)

Reply to: tour of western sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Palermo