We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
382 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Hi there my husband and I are planning a trip around Feb 20th. First we were set on Punta Cana Excellence or Cayo Levantoado in Samana, now worried about the malaria and don't want to take the pills, anyway we have been to cuba several times and loved it, so it's a possibility, our problem is we live a smaller resort, but don't want to compromise on food and beach. I simply just don't want to have to take the trolly to the beach. Cuba was great for that, we are thinking of Cancun mayo Riveria area any suggestions on resorts. Adults only would be great but not absolutely necessary. Am I correct in that if we stay in that area , we can easily visit Playa De Carmen. I see the Excellence Riveria gets good reviews, although the price is a bit high right now for our budget, but it could come down. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Charlie Moore

Toronto
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Both DR resorts are an excellent choice. Malaria is a constant scare in the area. However thousands of gringo tourists are traveling there every week and I’ve never heard of anybody getting sick in years. The issue was/is extensively debated on the Dominican TA forums. Try to search the subject on the Punta Cana forum. While there I’ve rarely seen a mosquito and I’ve been outside the resort area often.

Anyway, if you’re set on the Riviera Maya and don’t like ERC (another excellent choice) I’d suggest you try El Dorado Seaside Suites (EDSS) in the Puerto Aventuras area. It’s smaller and different than your usual all-inclusive. All restaurants are a la carte (I mean there’s no buffet), there are lots of king size beach beds, there’s snack and drinks service on the beach and concierge and room service are included. Dinner for two on the beach available for a little extra $. Not a lot of nightly entertainment but a nice, romantic place.

Sw Ohio
Level Contributor
893 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

I highly recommend the Sun Palace. Great beach, excellent service, great food, top shelf drinks and quiet & romantic.

Send me a pm of you'd like more information.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Hi Charlie,

I don't know what your budget allows but have a look at Maroma Resort and Spa. It's about a 30 minute ride from the Cancun Airport.

The reviews are outstanding. It has only 64 rooms.

Very intimate and luxurious.

Beautiful beach. Rated one of the best in the world.

It is not an "all-inclusive", though, and drinks and food tend to be pricey.

Also, it is not "adults only". I don't know if that matters or not.

Good luck with your decision and have fun doing the research!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Re the malaria risk in the DR: it's very low and many people choose not to bother with the meds.

I traveled there and I took anti-malarial meds because personally I don't like to take risks, even when small. As with any medication, there are side effects: however, we didn't find them too severe; after about 4 weeks we felt nauseous for a short time after taking them, and the other side effect we experienced was peeling skin. A side effect which, had the chemist or nurse bothered to mention it, we could easily have avoided by being a little more careful in the sun.

There are also different medications available, which again, neither our nurse or chemist thought worth mentioning. My friend recently took a course of a more expensive drug, Malarone, and had NO side effects at all; in fact, everyone I've spoken to who has taken it has had no problems at all. It is more expensive though: around £80-100 for a two-week course as opposed to £5 for the cheaper options.

I loved the DR and don't think you should be too put off by the tiny malaria risk or the prospect of medication. I'd at least leave it in the running, especially if you love the look of several hotels, and speak to your doctor or pharmacist about the different medications available and whether or not you really need to take them

Toronto, ON
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Try the Azul Beach. Only 90 rooms, very nice place. All 100% a la carte (no buffets). Not a lot of nightlife, but great for beach / food / service.

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

We will be returning to El Dorado Seaside for the 4th time in April and really like it there, another option that is even small is El Dorado Maroma it also gets great reviews. Both are Karisma resorts along with the Azul resorts. Service and grounds are outstanding.

Level Contributor
382 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Great info so far, thanks, I am off to research some of the suggestions, so far the EL Dorado Seaside Suites looks pretty interesting just a little nervous of the beach, Obviously it's not going to be punta cana beaches or beaches like in Cuba, but generally the beach is nice?. Any ideas on how far this resort is from anywhere, I'm not to familiar with it. Ex. Playa de Carman? could you do a trip their? Thanks Charlie

Toronto
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

EDSS is located just South of Puerto Aventuras and North of Akumal, about 15-20 minutes driving (on Hwy 307) from Playa del Carmen. Location is conveniently close to Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum and Coba. You can get to Playa del Carmen by rental car, taxi or public transit. We did rent a car and were able to go everywhere (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza).

The Northern section of the resort beach is rocky, but the rest is nice. There are few rocks in the water but, in return, you have good snorkeling directly from the beach. If concerned about underwater rocks you can wear watershoes. Talk to the water sports desk guys; they will arrange a snorkeling trip to Akumal to see the giant turtles.

Level Contributor
382 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Thanks again,, I have been looking at the comparison of El Dorado Royale vs El Dorado Seaside Suites, and I think I am going to book El Dorado Seaside, it's sounds must more romantic, thanks for all the great advice, this trip advisor is a life saver!.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestion for smaller more intimate resort in maya Riveria?

Just to let you know that a friend of mine just returned from EDSS and they loved it. They were at EDR last year and really liked it, but they loved the small size of the EDSS - which I know is what you're looking for. I wanted to go there this year, but the prices in the Mayan are too expensive so I'm going back to Punta Cana. Hopefully next year, will get to the Mayan again. Hope to hear back from you on how your trip goes - have fun!