We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puako a good choice?

San Bernardino...
6 posts
1 review
Puako a good choice?

Hey all, I am looking to book a week trip to the Big Island. We're taking my parents along with my family of 4, so budget-friendly is what I'm looking for. We'd be traveling there in June. Purpose would be to relax, spend time on the beach, snorkel, not do long drives. I'm eyeing this place on HomeAway (#147229) that's across the street from the water, which is important. Is Puako a good idea?

12 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Puako a good choice?

Here's a live link to the unit Sonya is asking about:

https:/…p147229

I like Puako, but you might be hotter than hot in this place in June, with no air conditioning ~ and I say that as someone who doesn't typically rely on A/C. Some reviews describe the unit as "dated" and "serviceable" and I think the siting is somewhat oversold based on where I know it to be. Overall, I think it's a poor choice. Have you looked into condos at Waikoloa Beach?

I also noticed that this unit is only available for five nights in June. That might work if you plan to spend two of your nights east. Is that your thought? If so, it will be worth it to fly into one side of the island and out the other.

~ Colleen

San Bernardino...
6 posts
1 review
2. Re: Puako a good choice?

Thank you, Colleen. We'd be going June next year (yes I know, I plan waaaay far in advance as I like up research a lot). I tried looking at Waikoloa, but it seems like everything is kind of far back from the water unless you're at one of those giantor villages? I just want to be within walking distance of a pretty beach and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm okay with "not fancy".

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
3. Re: Puako a good choice?

Agree, you will want air conditioning in Puako.

What’s a giantor village?

The Mauna Lani complexes on the water, Terrace and Point, are small, quiet low density condos.

San Bernardino...
6 posts
1 review
4. Re: Puako a good choice?

Oops, that was supposed to say, Gigantor. I looked at Mauna Lani, it seems to be all out of my price range. I want to stay at about $200 per night. The search continues.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Puako a good choice?

Will you have seven nights? Do you plan to spend one or two on the east side in order to visit Volcanoes National Park? You should be able to find a place there for under $200/night, so that will offset the cost if you go slightly over on the west side. There are plenty of options at Waikoloa Beach Resort that are under $200. For that matter, you can get this condo at Mauna Lani Palm Villas and have excellent access to a lovely beach:

https://www.vrbo.com/1292397

In Puako, I'd consider this place over the unit you mentioned:

https://www.vrbo.com/176307

Poor photos and definitely not flashy, but it's genuinely ocean front, and not in a multi-floor building across the road.

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
6. Re: Puako a good choice?

There aren’t really any “gigantic villages” here. I’m not sure what you’re picturing. Particularly in your price range, they will be small complexes. Vista Waikoloa and the Shores are right across from the beach and will be in your price range. The advantage of Waikoloa Beach to Puako is air conditioning, walking distance to shops and restaurants, and better ocean access. Puako is less busy.

San Bernardino...
6 posts
1 review
7. Re: Puako a good choice?

Thanks Colleen, we're planning on staying 8 nights. Unfortunately we'll probably skip the Volcano, since we'll have a 3 year old in tow.

I'll save that first listing, thank you! I did see the second one, but if you look at it, it's $250 for the 2 be, $150 for the studio. Tricky!

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
8. Re: Puako a good choice?

Oh well, it would have been helpful to have the info about the three year old earlier in this topic, I should have asked, I think I misread and assumed it was four total, you and your parents

In that case I really recommend you stay in Waikoloa Beach. Puako doesn’t have easy good ocean access or nice sand. Waikoloa beach and Anaehoomalu would be much more suitable for kids.

Edited: 19 April 2018, 07:10
US
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Puako a good choice?

I'm staying at the larger side of the above house in early June so I can report back. It was the cheapest we could find right on the water in the area. Someone else on here said he stayed there for a month in December and it was great. It's $250 but no extra fees. It ended up being cheaper than some places listed as $150 after cleaning fees and such.

10. Re: Puako a good choice?

How was this place in June? Did you feel you missed having air conditioning?

Reply to: Puako a good choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puako