We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi,

Just trying to sort our trip out around Borneo (leaving in 3 weeks) and would be grateful if anyone can tell me if it's possible to book Kalstar and/or Trigana flights when we arrive into Kuching? Or do we have to wait until we are in Kalimantan?

Our route is KL to Kuching and then clockwise around Borneo. Entering Kalimantan via Tarakan and hoping to get to Pangkalan Bun from Balikpapan with Trigana and leave Pangkalan Bun to Suraybaya with either Kalstar (cheaper, but stops in Sampit) or Trigana.

P.S. I already know about ticketindonesia.info

Thanks

Edited: 08 February 2012, 01:48
london - uk
Level Contributor
178 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

I have been looking at Kalstar website this week and you can book tickets online with them

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Possibly - I've not had the courage to complete a booking. But I know it doesn't like UK Zip/Post Codes. It pops up saying it has to be all numeric.

So I'd have to input a fictitious code and hope it doesn't compare to the credit card details. That's if they accept UK cards.

london - uk
Level Contributor
178 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

I managed to book a Kalstar flight last week. I came up with an error and I didnt think it worked, but then later i checked my emails and there was an eticket from them (it had gone into my junk box) i emailed them and asked if the reservation was ok, and they emailed the eticket again - so i THINK i managed to book them!!

However i still have a question over luggage allowance as the aircraft im travelling on only allows 10kg, wheras i will have 20kg!

goodluck

4. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2012, 23:35
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi,

That sound good that you managed to book online - but what did you do regarding the postcode? As whenever I try it says it has to be all numbers and won't accept any letters. Did you just use random numbers?

I'm sure you will be able to take greater than 10kgs on board but may well have to pay excess charges.

I emailed Trigana regarding this and they told me

"If you have excess baggage, we charge for 1 kilo is IDR 8.800" - this was for an internal flight to Pangkalan Bun

For a flight from Pangkalan Bun to Surabaya they said " Yes, Excess baggage for 1 kilo is IDR 12.100."

I would assume that Kalstar shouldn't be much different, so either way it's not a massive amount to pay extra

Edited: 17 February 2012, 23:20
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

OK - I'll answer my own question.

We bit the bullet and tried booking a Kalstar flight online. We simply used 1234 as our postcode. It didn't like 0044 for our phone number but was quite happy with +44.

All went well and we instantly received a Booking Confirmation. However this does state "This is just a receipt of your reservation not a ticket. Your ticket will be processed within 24 hour, and our system will send a notification to your email. (Not Valid for Travelling) "

Today we waited and nothing. Suddenly we received an email asking for our phone numbers again (our mobile had run flat and they couldn't contact us). We sent them our mobile and UK landline number and within 10 minutes they called us. They just wanted to confirm we had booked the flight using a UK credit card and that it was our card (no card details were requested). They told us they would send us a Reservation Confirmation and we should simply take this to the airport where they would print out our e-tickets.

Within 2 minutes we received the email from their Verification Unit. So we are well pleased.

Now ......if only Trigana could join the 21st century!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Well Done!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi

I wanted to find out what they ended up charging you for your baggage overage as we will be in the exact same situation as you. We are each over 5-10KG's and are hoping the cost really is only 12,000 IDR per kilo as that is less thatn US $1.50.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

@infoaddict

google map of Tarakan and Sabah(tawau)

Just one ferry away

This route is more direct and easier to Tarakan

goto

www.airasia.com

a) to book flight from KL to Tawau

b)Take the ferry from Tawau to Tarakan

KL to Kuching and make your way to Tarakan is a difficult route.

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

I'm also interested in the luggage issue. We have booked a couple of flights with Kalstar in July with 10kg luggage limit per passenger. There are 4 of us but we'll only have 2 bags between us (plus hand luggage) so I'm hoping they'll pool the luggage allowance as both bags will probably be in excess of 10kg.

Get answers to your questions about East Kalimantan