We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Which Maspalomas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

We've booked a week in a fairly good hotel in Meloneras for end of October. Quite happy with what we've paid etc.

In yesterdat newspaper supplements there were some bargain breaks listed.

Seven nights at four star Smartline Koala Garden suites Maspalomas www.easyjet.com/holidays.

Self catering. Dep Gatwick 16th Oct.

"From" price is £226pp.

I haven't done a dummy booking to check the extras (baggage, transfers etc etc) or looked at the TA reviews for the Koala. (feeling a bit under the weather having over indulged over the w'end.)

But it does sound pretty cheap.

Views?

England
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Rallied and did a dummy booking.

I chose a superior one bed appt.

Added 2x cases at £34 each

Added 2x transfers at £11 each

the whole lot came out at £588 for 2 people self catering

we are paying about £1500 at the H10 Meloneras which is obviously a better hotel, in a nice location, and we have half board.

So you could say one could stay at the Koala and have about £900 over to spend on meals out.

most reviews stated that it represented good vfm.

it seems a bit off the beaten track

Some reviewers bizarely complained that there were too mant spanish and germans staying there.

Each to his own I suppose.

south yorks
Level Contributor
376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Think you have too much time on your hands! Cheap and cheerful is Ok if you're 21, and don't mind noisy neighbours and naff self-catering facilities. But I want a bit of comfort in my life, so prefer a three or four star hotel. Also those apartments are a taxi ride from any bars and restaurants and so you would spend a lot of time and money travelling to and from Playa del Ingles or Maspalomas.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

I have just got back from Villa del Conte and we picked up guests at the Koala last night - sorry it looked awful, bit holiday camp. They did seem to be away from it all.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

To quote Kirstie & Phil, "Location, Location, Location" !

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

I have stayed at Koala Gardens some years back on an allocated on arrival basis ....its awful . There at least used to be Faro2 for something to wander and look round ,but now that's closed the only other thing in the area is the market ! Apartments where quite nice ,you shut the kitchen off in a cupboard .After one night and a full day we paid to be moved the best thing we ever did ! We where told there was a bus to the beach but it was full before it even got to the apartments .Food ,Bingo and other entertainment was aimed at the German market .So really hope that's all changed ,however even if they have they cant change its location ......I know taxis are cheap but even that will soon mount up so " Cheap " it wont be .I would add the money for taxis and book elsewhere ..................

Sorry I missed this post earlier

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Tisalaya Park is less than 500 mtrs from here, looks not bad from outside.. cant comment on their apts though

south yorks
Level Contributor
376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

We are wanting somewhere cheap but nice next year, so I just looked at Tisalaya Park on booking.com, and it's quoting £5,791 for seven nights! How can you trust these booking sites when they come up with crazy inaccuracies like that (and I can't see anywhere to contact them to query it).

south yorks
Level Contributor
376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

I thought I had read a review posted by Sunbabe on the Tisalaya apartments this month, so curious why she says she doesn't know what the apartments are like? Is it a different Sunbabe?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Just looked and there is a review - how odd

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap and Cheerful holiday in Maspalomas

Think sunbabe means that the Tisalaya apartments where she stayed are 500 metres from the Koala Garden apartments.

Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas