We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

Maryland
Level Contributor
504 posts
96 reviews
1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

If you've stayed in a Mauna Lani condo (1 br would be enough for us) for $200 a night or under and REALLY liked it, pls let us know. With the wonderful help of TA advisors, we narrowed lodging down to Mauna Lani and found some good options, but direct recommendations might cut down the hours spent shlogging through listings. Thanks!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,505 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

AFAIK, barbara, they didn't build any one bedroom condos at Mauna Lani. They wouldn't have sold. Some owners will reduce the price by locking off the second or third bedrooms, but others will not.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

One bedroom units are indeed a rarity in South Kohala. The only properties where I know they have them is "The Shores" at Waikoloa Beach Resort...and a few at Mauna Lani Terrace.

The Terrace will likely come in a good deal higher than your budget however.

As KK mentions the majority of units built in the area in the past ten years cater to the current Travel styles where folks want more room.....and even couples will gladly take a 2 BR unit in order to get something at a desirable property. The price difference is not all that substantial.

The task of locating a condo can be a rather individual process.Time consuming ...yes...but well worth it. Your decor style/preference may differ greatly from another. Developing a rapport with the owner is also a very individual thing. iI is a good idea to speak on the telephone and ask questions and get a good sense..

Edited: 14 December 2012, 15:38
Maryland
Level Contributor
504 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

Thanks so much!! We just sent a request for a 2 bedroom villa at the Fairways that has a lovely downstairs lanai with a Kitchen and a lanai off the master with a nice view also. Reasonably priced and lots of great reviews. I did plan to call the owner tomorrow, but thought I'd send a message now to hold the place since it's 11:40 EST. :-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,505 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

hi barbara,

thanks for sending me the link to the Terrace one bedroom.

I totally stand corrected. The NEW construction of the last decade moved towards larger condos that would make true second homes and allow people to come over with family and to entertain guests.

The Terraces are older. The unit you are looking at is on the top floor, which seems great to me. The location is of course fabulous. The hotel grounds are wonderful, so great to be a guest.

I would say the unit has a reasonable price because it needs a kitchen renovation by today's standards. You can see the small square tile they used, which has been out of vogue for some time. It is all granite or better finishes these days, and the current style tends more to large tile or wood floors than to wall to wall carpet.

Do you care about these things? Probably not! At $200 a night you aren't going to get a completely updated tricked out condo AND a fabulous ocean view with hotel amenities.

As long as it's clean and smells fresh, it should be very enjoyable for a couple.

The Fairways option also has its pluses, so it's up to you to weigh them.

I personally would enjoy being in the Terrace location, and I would take advantage of the amenities to try out those lovely hotel hammocks slung from the coconut palms, which only hotel guests and Terrace guests can use.

I am not a sun bather, but I love to watch the ocean, and the Mauna Lani has lovely shade from the palms where one can relax and soak up the view.

Maryland
Level Contributor
504 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

Great points to think about, as usual!! You're such a tremendous help!! I think the hubby wasn't crazy about climbing the steps to the third floor and really liked the lanai with the BBQ. We'll have to talk some more since we really couldn't care less about granite countertops in a vacation condo! :-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,505 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

I wasn't sure if you had to walk up. Well, that is something to think about, for sure. I thought they might have made the units accessible by having an elevator.

I tried a third floor walk up in Kona, and I thought it was a pain.

But if you are stairmaster types you could think of it as a bonus workout.

Maryland
Level Contributor
504 posts
96 reviews
7. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

Someone had mentioned that the Terraces had really quick beach access and a place with hammocks where you could sit and watch the ocean. Dumb question but....is the hammock area open on top or covered? (We're really down to the fine points here.....) Hubby and I aren't great in the open sun, but sitting in a place that's covered would be heaven. Is the Terraces that much more convenient to the beach than the Fairways? Thanks!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
15,028 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

<<"Is the Terraces that much more convenient to the beach than the Fairways?">>

Here's a site map of the Mauna Lani resort .... the Terrace is closer than the Fairways to the beach club.

But ...you'll have parking privileges at the beach club, so if you book at one of the condo complexes further out (e.g. Fairways) then you can drive there and park. alohahawaiivacations.com/images/mlmap_new120…

Maryland
Level Contributor
504 posts
96 reviews
9. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

Very helpful, Susan - thanks!! Based on our budget, we have a real quandary. We found a 1 bedroom in the Terraces for $199 nt ith lovely views, but it's on the 3rd floor with no elevator and it's a little old. We also found a really well priced two bedroom modern villa for less $$ with a first floor lanai with a great BBQ and nice greenery views from the upstairs master bedroom. We're too albino to spend lots of time at the beach and a little too old to snorkel, but walking along the beach and sitting under cover watching the ocean would be heaven.Based on your obvious knowledge, would getting to the ponds and the beach be such a pain that the Fairways location wouldn;t be as good? Are the Terraces much much closer - a short walk, for example? It's a little hard to tell distances on the map. They're both good options and we're so conflicted. Thanks!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
10. Re: 1 br Mauna Lani condo under $200 nt - recommendations?

The hammocks at the ML are all in the open although some have some palm tree shading during some of the day.

Yes, the Terrace is closer to the beach front area right in front of the hotel as well as the beach at Makaiwa Bay (a very nice ten minute walk through the ancient fishponds and along the shoreline). The Fairways are closer to the Fairmont Orchid which has the small beach at Pauoa. But as Susan says, you can take a short drive or bike ride to any of the beach areas within the Mauna Lani, and you'll have a parking pass for the beach club at Makaiwa Bay if you're staying at the Fairways.

Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast