We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea beach drop off

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Mauna Kea beach drop off

So, I’ve read about the issues with parking at the Mauna Kea resort for the beach. We will actually be traveling via cruise ship and want to make kona our beach day. Is there any issues with taking a taxi or uber to get dropped off there? I’m assuming we won’t have to worry about timing since we won’t be parking. Thank you in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
1. Re: Mauna Kea beach drop off

A taxi would cost you about $100 each way and Uber is extremely unlikely to be available. Aside from that, I also don’t even know if the hotel would allow an Uber to take you through for beach access. Maybe a marked taxi. But they are not required to provide you with access even as a drop off if their allotted beach parking spaces are full. And they can indeed be weird there about access, especially as they have had a lot of problems with people getting into the Resort under false pretenses (going for food, etc) and then taking the extremely limited beach parking spots. I got a beach parking pass there once a few months ago and drove down and there were no spots. I turned around and came back and the guard told me what was happening and said they were instituting new procedures, so I don’t know. I certainly would t count on it. I would just rent a car, it will be cheaper than a taxi and you’ll have a lot more flexibility to assess ocean conditions and try different spots, etc. Kauna’oa is a pretty beach but ocean conditions can be poor depending on time of year, and there is much better snorkeling at the Mauna Lani.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Mauna Kea beach drop off

Hmmm. I may be misjudging distances on the map then because I don’t think we will be willing to pay a taxi rate like that. We really don’t want to rent a car. We will be docked for a total of 9 hours and with tendering, doubt we will have more than 6 usable hours in port. I don’t want to waste another hour of that getting and returning a rental car. I see there’s a hop on hop off bus offered by ‘Clark’s Hawaii tours’ for $20 pp. it stops at Kahalu’u beach and white sand beach. Are either of those worth a stop? Any other nice beaches that would be more in the $20-$30 taxi range? I would love to try stand up paddle boarding if we could get to a beach with calm enough water.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
3. Re: Mauna Kea beach drop off

Taxis are very expensive here, on all the islands. You can’t get basically anywhere for $20.

Kahaluu isn’t really a beach and it gets crushes of visitors. It’s dirty and unpleasant, especially on cruise ship days. La’aloa is the other beach area you’re referring to, it’s not white sand, in fact a lot of time there isn’t any sand at all. It’s a dangerous beach primarily for local bodyboarders and has an active drug trade. Neither of these are SUP areas.

If you want a beach day, you really need to rent a car. Anaeho’omalu is the best beach for SUP, with rentals right there, and a beach bar and restaurant, but the snorkeling is poor, if that matters.

Reply to: Mauna Kea beach drop off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast
More Kohala Coast Topics