We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea beach parking

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
Mauna Kea beach parking

Hi all,

I know parking is limited and you have to get there before 8:30 to secure a spot. But I’m wondering if later in the day that changes. Maybe after mid afternoon?

I just think it’s going to be difficult to get there that early with the family, so thinking of a plan B.

Or maybe another option is to drop everyone off at Mauna Kea and go park at Hapuna on my own and walk back?

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
1. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

The beach is Kauna’oa. You can’t drop people off, they won’t let you through the guard gate unless there is a pass available.

I have had some success going after about 3pm.

Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

We tried walking back from Hapuna and it was a long, hot walk. We were told we could walk along the beach and the climb the hills but that was too dangerous. If i had it to do over i woild just get to mauna kea beach earlier.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

We’ve been going there this week, driving from Mauna Lani area. One day we arrived at 8:20 and were one of the last 5 cars. Now we’re going at 8, getting up at 6:30, but that’s 8:30 Seattle time so not that bad and as I remember, my kids always woke up at the crack of dawn in Hawaii.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

When you're over, there will be a three hour time difference, so 8:30am isn't particularly challenging. I've gone there early morning a couple of times and when I left before noon, there were already spots open. Doubt I'd go there on midday in August with kids, though.

~ Colleen

Kohala Coast, HI
2 posts
5. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

Aloha and thank you for your question. If Mauna Kea Beach Hotel's complimentary beach access parking is full, we do recommend that visitors instead go to Hapuna Beach State Park which has ample parking, facilities, and a beautiful beach as well. Cars do come and go from the hotel's parking area so parking can be available throughout the day at anytime really and it is, as you note, a matter of timing. We hope this is helpful information for you.

edmonton, canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

We arrived at 8:25 on Wednesday and it was already full. Going to give it one more try before we have to leave but the weather has turned cooler and even windier today. We'll see what the weekend brings.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Mauna Kea beach parking

We also tried on Wednesday and were rejected at 8:40, she mentioned she had handed out the last pass at 8:25.

Today we arrived at 8 am on the dot and got a pass no problem. Once down to the lot I would estimate half the stalls marked for the beach parking were still empty.

Reply to: Mauna Kea beach parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast
More Kohala Coast Topics