We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

J C
Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

We are planning a family trip in May 2018 to the Kohala coast on the Big Island. We are planning to stay in either the Mauna Lani resort area or Mauna Kea resort area but not in a hotel. I understand the hotel access program makes life easier when finding a spot at the beach for parking etc. I haven't been able to find the cost of the resort access fee. Could someone please let me know the cost of the resort access program? And do you purchase it per day or per week?

thx!

11 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,392 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

Hello,

This is the Support forum where all of us members query our reviews, find out about Guidelines for reviews and the forums, ask questions on how to use TripAdvisor website and it's features, and we can report technical glitches and issues.

Every city, region, Island and country has its own travel forum on here. Plus there are other Beyond Destination forums on travel topics and themes. Here's the forums homepage link to save or bookmark -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

You can search for a specific forum by clicking on the magnifying glass search icon at the top right side of this website page. Then on the search bar - left side type in 'Forum' and on the right side replace "World" with a city name. The forum pages are best viewed on the full website, not the limited Tripadvisor APP.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
2. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

Hi J C,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor Support Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Kohala Coast forum.

Regards,

Joanne

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
3. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

There is no such thing as a resort access fee at either location. If you stay at a condo at the Mauna Lani you will get a card that gives you access to the gated parking lot behind the beach at Makaiwa but the whole rest of the resort is equally accessible to everyone, public or condo renters. No one is allowed to use the Mauna Lani hotel pool unless you’re staying at the hotel.

At the Mauna Kea, most condos come with an amenity deal that lets you have special access to the beach parking or hotel parking for beach access but it varies so you have to check with the owner or the condo you plan to rent. There is no other special resort access.

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,196 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

Only the Mauna Kea has a hotel access amenities package. It’s something that is for “homeowners” to pass on to their renters. The cost can vary, but any rental ad listing should have the cost listed and the terms.

The Mauna Lani Resort has no hotel access program. The Beach Club parking access and use of loungers and cabanas is a perk that homeowners have bought into, and they don’t charge you a fee for it.

The Mauna Kea package includes more than parking and use of beach loungers, includes hotel pools, signing privileges, beach-boy service, changing facilities if any, and maybe guest discounts (not huge).

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,196 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

Looks like I was typing same time as Shea.

Of the few times I’ve stayed at the Mauna Kea Resort, the owners have to set you up with the resort in some way where your name can be checked as valid. Not a problem, but it was not a card. It came up for me when I was exiting parking at Hapuna, which has a garage with tickets and an automated gate, and normally costs $14.

Note that Mauna Kea and Hapuna have a sister hotel relationship, that is not entirely reciprocal because the Hapuna was always less expensive, but the amenities package gave privileges at both. But with Westin coming in at Hapuna, it’s possible things will change.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

We're staying in a Mauna Kea condo (booked through VRBO, managed by South Kohala Mgt) and the resort access fee is $65 a day. That’s an increase from our stay in 2014, but because we’re splitting it with family members, we think it’s worth it. I’ve not found any owners who throw this fee in, at least not for our high season dates, Feb-Mar.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

What exactly does the Mauna Kea resort access membership fee include that’s not already included in your vacation home rental?

Do you get full access to hotel facilities? I heard it’s 2 hotels. If so, which hotels are those?

I’m still trying to decide between Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea for a July stay and wondering if getting this pass will make MK more interesting as I may have more amenities (kids pool?) and convenience at the beach than at ML.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,672 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

Ask Mauna Lani what their renovation plans will be...just in case. Mauna Kea might be a good choice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

I’m not staying at a hotel. I’ll rent condo/townhome. Just wondering if the amenities I’ll have access to by buying this pass are worth it?

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
10. Re: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?

There is no kids pool at the Mauna Kea. The one pool there is small and crowded. The condo you’re staying at will probably have a better pool.

The two “sister” hotels are Mauna Kea and Hapuna, however the Hapuna is rebranding as a Westin in the next few months and my understanding is that arrangement is going away. I would call or email to inquire. The Mauna Kea amenity package with the condos gives you beach parking access.

I would choose the Mauna Lani with kids. There’s a lot more to do on property. At the Mauna Kea you have to drive to get to more than just the one beach. Mauna Lani has lots of restaurants, a good kids program,

Reply to: Kohala Coast - Cost for resort access fee?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast
More Kohala Coast Topics