We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
85 reviews
209 helpful votes
Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia
Save

I have Australian and US citizenship and plan on travelling from Georgia via Abkhazia to Russia. Has anyone actually crossed this border at the Inguri River? Once I have my Abkhazian "visa" permit, should I expect any real problems? Should I expect to have to pay bribes?

I am aware that this border crossing cannot be done in reverse which is why I will have a Russian "single entry visa" to leave at the other end at the Psou border crossing with Russia.

I am trying to avoid having to fly from Tbilisi to Moscow, only to make my way back down to the Psou border to enter Abkhazia with a double entry visa- this would be much more costly and time consuming.

I understand the rules may be quite different for citizens of Georgia and Russia so I'm really interested if somebody has experience crossing this border as a foreigner (particularly citizens of Australia or United States).

Thanks for your advice.

3 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia
Save

Hi Emfromsydney. Im Louie from New Zealand. Do you actually need a visa to go from Georgia to Abkhazia ? I thought it was a province of Georgia, or maybe Russians have taken it back.

This June I plan to travel from Tbilisi to Abkhazia and north to Sochi. Im starting in May from Vladivostok on my motorcycle. I will be interested to know if it is possible to get through, by official, or non official means. I will investigate further.

Regards

Louie

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
405 reviews
266 helpful votes
2. Re: Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia
Save

Abkhazia is a breakaway republic of Georgia with its own government etc. I have not done this trip, but am planning it for May this year.

You need to apply for a visa - see http://www.mfaabkhazia.net/en/visa

lots of info on Lonely Planet forum: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=872668&start=270 and read pages 19-22. You will see it is pefectly possible. You can go Georgia-Abkhazia-Georgia, or Georgia-Abkhazia-Russia but NOT Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia because Georgia regard that as an illergal crossing into Abkhazia which is stil part of Georgia. Most countries do not recognise Abkhazia so no diplomatic representation, there are NO ATMs in the country, and there are reports of a degree of banditry and theft.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
85 reviews
209 helpful votes
3. Re: Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia
Save

Thanks, I found the forums quite helpful and more reassuring.

Reply to: Inguri river crossing- Georgia to Abkhazia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zugdidi
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.