We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental companies

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental companies

We're planning on purchased SCDW, and Budget has the best rates. They have terrible reviews in Dublin, and I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with them at Shannon Airport. Should we pick a different company?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
6 replies to this topic
Tampa
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental companies

Good for you taking the SCDW ! I have used Dan Dooley on many trips to Ireland and have never had any issue of any kind !

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental companies

I have rented at Shannon airport from AVIS, Budget, Dooley and Enterprise over the past 25 years. I always buy SCDW and full coverage for tyres, wheels, windows, undercarriage. I read and know all of the Irish car rental rules, regs and charges in advance. I always inspect the vehicle before departure and get all scratches, marks, dings noted. I know that I am not in my home country and that not everything works the same way it does at home. Armed with that knowledge, I have never had a single negative issue with any of them.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
San Diego...
Level Contributor
648 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental companies

I used to use Budget every year, however, I now use Dooley. I have never had an issue with Budget but since I use my credit card for insurance, Budget actually charges the 2,500E deposit and then refunds it (so I have to pay a conversion fee) but Dooley only puts a hold on it. So it saves me a bit of money.

If you are buying all the insurance and Budget has a cheaper price, go for it. Just be aware of additional charges like another driver, GPS, dropping in a different location or going to the North (not sure if Budget charges extra for that). Also the tire and glass will be extra as well and not included in the Super CDW.

Westport...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental companies

Hello EddieL...could I ask how much was the added insurance? I will be traveling alone in June and unsure if I want to rent a car or use public transportation. I have inquired about a driver, but the most recommended person on the forum is not available. I will take a page from your book and look the car over carefully before leaving the lot should I rent.

Kind regards

H.M.

Edited: 16 March 2018, 06:36
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental companies

laffluver: Our last experience was last May. We flew into Cork from London and then out of Shannon back to the US. We rented from Enterprise. While I do not remember the exact cost of the insurance, I can tell you the rental components:

Each of these quoted in USD is an added cost:

Base Rental = $39.95, PLUS We Pre-Paid Fuel and these extra charges:

* Pick up and drop off in different locations

* Automatic Transmission

* SCDW

* Tyres, Wheels, Glass, Mirrors, Theft Insurance

* Taxes & Airport Fees

Total cost for 14 days was $1,100

Edited: 16 March 2018, 08:33
Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
London
London
England, UK
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Ramona, California
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental companies

I was charged for 'damage' to the rented vehicle that did not occur during my rental period. There was no pre-inspection walk prior to taking possession of the car. All I received was an email after taking possession of the vehicle of pre-inspection photos taken at 4:44 in an area which was not the Hertz parking lot and which is in direct conflict with my rental record showing the rental at 4:28. When the vehicle was returned at or about 6:30 in the morning the counter was not open therefore a non supervised visual inspection was performed upon return which showed no damage. Hertz then sent me photos taken at approximately 2:30 pm showing a light scuffed bumper. Hertz claimed their loss was 365.53 EUR but as a courtesy they were only charging me 180 EUR because I am a Gold Member. This Hertz 's policy is full responsibility until checked in by their representative but maintaining responsibility for a vehicle whilst parked in the Hertz parking lot a full 8 hours after drop off is not reasonable. There was no damage to the vehicle when returned to the Hertz parking lot after the rental period. As I did not pay for additional products I believe Hertz is attempting to have me pay for something I have no responsibility for. I've read similar complaints for Dublin. Since they don't have to pay VAT on damage charges it's easy money.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Reply to: Car rental companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted