We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Mentor, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Planning to rent a car at the Shannon Airport in September 2018. The only reviews I can find on TA for this company date back to 2009 or so. Does anyone have any recent experience with them, especially waiving the CDW charges by using a World Mastercard? Also, could you comment on whether your vehicle was in good shape and about the level of customer service at pick up and drop off? Thanks much!

38 replies to this topic
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
1 post
11. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

most of the posts are talking about Dan Dooley. Does anyone have experience with Irish Car Rental and do they have a desk at shannon airport

bcolt52
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
12. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Biggest hassle in going to Ireland is the rental car companies and their attempt to RIP u off, if u let them. MOST rentals include basic coverage, meaning they will put a hold on your credit card for 1,500-2,000 euro. Even if u get full (very expensive) coverage, it excludes tires, windshield & ??, the things u r most likely to damage if u travel anywhere off the main motorways. I dented a bumper and they charged me 990 euro to replace the whole bumper and a tow charge! When I checked in and showed it to the agent, he said "not a big deal, we'll be fair". They'll also NOT tell u about the 30 euro airport charge which is $38 US. Budget is the only one I know who include it in their rates. I find my frequent visits that Dooley & Enterprise rates r sky high. Shop around sites like Autoeurope and Irishcarrentals.com

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,466 posts
80 reviews
13. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

the excess is clearly shown on all rental companies sites. you can choose to get the extra insurance or not....you have the option. and yes tire and glass is an extra insurance too. again you can opt for it or not.

and you damaged a bumper so bad that it was actually dented? then of course it should be replaced.

when booking a car anywhere, you should always check the t and c. no point in complaining if you accept the terms and conditions and opt to take a chance.

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
135 posts
16 reviews
14. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

I used Conn's (Hertz) at SNN Airport. Picked up there, dropped off in Dublin.

Had NO issues and was able to get all of the insurance etc in my quote. They did not hold $$ on my credit card, there was no wait at the counter, no hassle turning it in at DUB on Easter.

I'd recommend or at least get a quote with all of the taxes and fees included.

http://www.connsirelandcarrental.com

Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
15. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

I booked my car with Dooley and received a written and email confirmation. Upon arrival in Shannon November 18 I handed my paperwork along with a confirmation of insurance coverage from Chase Sapphire to Angela the rental agent . Angela told my daughter and I she has nothing in her computer on this rental that this was obviously just a price quote not a confirmation and handed me back my paperwork . I then handed Angela my phone with the Email and attached confirmation number and in addition confirmed withdrawal from my credit card the total cost of the car rental. Again nothing but a shrug from Angela and again the statement “ I don’t have it in my computer for the fifth time “ . I requested a car any car at this point willing to compromise on my initial request if needed and Angela said

“ don’t have one I suggest you go to another rental “ That was it she called the next customer on line smiling and rented them a car. After watching the next transactions the sale of insurance was a big ticket item and I began to wonder if handing my insurance coverage at the start was a big mistake. There were six other car rentals in the lobby after the third one I finally got a smaller car for from thrifty who advised me that that my situation with Dooley was a common occurrence. So two hours later after being up all night my daughter and I finally started our dream vacation with over three hundred dollars held by Dooley and five thousand held by thrifty to cover the possibly of damages . As the day progresses to make it even more aggravating I receive three additional email confirmations for the car they refused to rent me. I then spent to much vacation time attempting to get my money back from Dooley . Please do not make the same mistake I did and ignore the negative reviews . DO NOT BEGIN YOUR VACATION WITH DOOLEY YOU WILL REGRET IT

Maryland
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
6 reviews
16. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

So who did you actually book with ? Actually, you did not begin your trip with DOOLEY but rather with Irish Car Rentals. How did they handle your problem ?

Did you book directly with Dan Dooley or did you book with a 3rd party vendor ie- Irish Car Rentals ?

Often hiccups happen when people think a better deal is going to be had by going around the actual car hire company and use a middleman instead. Many advise against this for the reason you experienced, if something is off is Who do you contact ? Dooley didn’t engage in a contract with you. Irish Car Rentals did.

This is quite common, sadly. Just like booking airfare, people think there s better value by using a vendor instead of booking directly with the airlines. When-if something goes wrong, the airlines cannot help you.

Sorry for your issue.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 23:54
Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
17. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Are you replying to my previous post ? if so you’re totally off base and completely wrong. Dooley directly is who I booked with I then received confirmations from Dooley. Dooley took my money and did not supply me with a car and after my vacation I was finally reimbursed my full payment from Dooley. I have no idea what’s you’re interest in representing Dooley but I have at least eight Emails to and from Dooley.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,466 posts
80 reviews
18. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

i think that there is some confusion. this thread is about a rental COMPANY called Irish car Rentals and not about dooley, which is owned by enterprise.

yes, it is strange that dooley made a mess of things but maybe this was caused by the take over by enterprise?

however, you did not need to email dooley as they have a freefone line in the states !

despite #18, it has nothing to do with a booking broker as Irish Car Rentals is NOT a broker

Maryland
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
6 reviews
19. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

My apologies Gasman, but you are posting on the wrong topic of Irish Car Rentals.com which has nothing to do with Dan Dooley.

My bad was thinking you were booking with a 3rd party entity like Car Rentals.com.

Thanks for the clarification Nagakoli.

Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
20. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Sunny unlimited

I’m sorry I has attempted to delete my comment but couldn’t figure it out my apologies

Reply to: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted