We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Mentor, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Planning to rent a car at the Shannon Airport in September 2018. The only reviews I can find on TA for this company date back to 2009 or so. Does anyone have any recent experience with them, especially waiving the CDW charges by using a World Mastercard? Also, could you comment on whether your vehicle was in good shape and about the level of customer service at pick up and drop off? Thanks much!

38 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,239 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

I would suggest you phone Dooley they have a toll free US phone number and will talk you through the process of renting using Credit Card. https://www.dan-dooley.ie/contact-us.php

3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

stay clear of Dooley i rented a care from them last year when i got to airport it took hours to find them they have no office desk at air port i had to walk around parking lot then i seen a black van no markings i asked driver where is Dooley car rental polish driver said this is Dooley so i got in we had to leave airport when I got to car rental shop i got a SUV whit 2 bold tires on front end they would not replace tires i asked a GPS unit when i put in car it was out of order be careful the gave me a full no damage report I went out to look at SUV to look for damage wow wow there was so much damage all over SUV broken passenger mirror I had to buy full damage insurance as they would charge me for damage I never did . ITS sad to be a victim in Ireland it looks like the can do what ever .

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,611 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

to serious readers please ignore post 2.....that is absolute rubbish.....

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

I always 'Waive' the Insurances using a Credit Card for coverage (almost every year since 1999, sometimes multiple times, per year). I rented from Dooley at Shannon Airport this past September / October.

There were NO major issues. I had reserved a Compact (Ford Focus class), Manual transmission, petrol (Gasoline) fueled car. I received a 2016 Skoda Octavia, manual transmission, Diesel car -- which is considered to be a one-class 'upgrade' (as is the Diesel engine). The car had just under 67,000 Kilometers on the odometer and some visible, but mostly light damages (a few scratches and scrapes). They were all noted on the damage inspection sheet and had NO impact on safety or function what-so-ever. From my Trip Report:

"A manual transmission, compact sedan (Ford Focus class), declining ALL offered insurances at a quoted price of $123.07, plus the obligatory Initial Fuel and 25 Euro Fee for declining the CDW. On arrival, I was given a lightly damaged (but fully documented!) Skoda Octavia, 5 door hatch, diesel, 5 speed, which is slightly larger (and roomier) than the Focus. I was billed $265.44 (plus a 3,000 Euro Hold as a damage deposit) and received a $93.89 refund after returning the car with a full tank, on 8 October. That's a NET cost of $168.74, including foreign transaction fees.

I drove 1,672.4 Kilometers (1,040 Miles) and added 77.88 Liters of Diesel at an average cost of 1 Euro 22 per liter, for a total fuel expense of 94.48 Euro ($112). Math challenged though I can be I think that works out to 1,040 miles using 20.57 US gallons at $5.45 per US Gallon for somewhere around 41.63 MPG."

Wheeling, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Just a point of clarification... they held 3,000.00 Euro in your credit card?

Wheeling, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Are all car rentals hold 3k euro upon renting in Shannon Airport? How does this work? Appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,611 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

if you don't buy their insurance and use an outside insurer the hold can be up to €5000, depending on car rented....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
264 reviews
8. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Which is why I always take the full insurance and pay for it when I rent from Dan Dooley who I have used many times without any issues at all. Better safe than sorry !

Maryland
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

Another vote to ignore post #2, that's Baloney Skins.

I have used Dooley from both SNN and DUB with exceptional service and vehicles. Call the 800 # in New Jersey and they will gladly explain the process and costs and give you a good deal. Car rental is different in Ireland due to their underwriting laws, can be confusing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?

I have trip booked next month in and out of SHannon and booked Dan Dooley. All the other rental car places wanted to tack on more fees for everything and after talking to friends they said Dan Dooley was the best and to be honest they had the best price with all the insurance ect. I think for a small compact, automatic with WIFI and the excess insurance was around $400 for 7 days. That was better than anywhere else I got a quote from.

Reply to: Experience with Irish Car Rentals at Shannon Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted