We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route with stops from Dublin to Adare

1 post
Save Topic
Driving Route with stops from Dublin to Adare

My wife and I as well as my adult son will be making a stop in Ireland on our return to the US from Italy at the end of September.

We will be spending one night in Dublin, and then heading to Adare for two nights. My son will fly out of Shannon after our stay in Adare. My wife and I will then be spending two nights in Ennis before we depart from Shannon as well.

We are looking for suggestions for sight seeing stops as we drive from Dublin to Adare. Because we really will have only one full day in Adare, we are considering a tour to the cliffs of Moher on that day. We would love some suggestions of what else to do from Adare as well as Ennis.

Holy Trinity Abbey Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Adare Heritage Centre
Gift & Speciality Shops, Visitor Centres
Desmond Castle
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Castles, Historic Sites
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Route with stops from Dublin to Adare

The Cliffs of Moher is close to Doolin town in County Clare

Dublin to Adare take the M 7 ( Toll road ) -M 20 and follow signs for N 21 Tralee

should take 2.5 - 3 hours

Info on tolls see EFLOW.IE /

For road traffic updates linked to Twitter see

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Route with stops from Dublin to Adare

If you want to see the Cliffs of Moher and are coming from Dublin, why not take the M6 from Dublin to Galway and then down to the Cliffs. There is very little difference in time and distance.

On the M6, you could stop off to see Kilbeggan Distillery - do the self-guided tour. And Clonmacnoise

Then head to The Cliffs. Having see the Cliffs make your way to the Poulnabrone Dolmen www.megalithicireland.com/Poulnabrone.htm and then to Adare, using the Shannon Tunnel.

While in Adare you could visit either King John's Castle in Limerick or Bunratty Castle. That will take about 3 hours.

You could then visit either Lough Gur or Craggaunowen

3. Re: Driving Route with stops from Dublin to Adare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2017, 23:15
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor