We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day

england
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day

I know it will be extremely busy, but we want to know just how long you would expect to wait in lines on Christmas Day/Boxing Day.

We have been to Florida for the past four years, but only have 4 days off this Christmas.

Just how bad will it be?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day

Hi asty, welcome to the DLP/ MLV forum

I have not been there for Christmas Day / Boxing Day myself, and can't recall any Trip Reports covering these two days.

A friend of mine ( who is there now! ) used to go for Christmas every year, but that was some time ago. I think she used to say that Christmas morning was not very busy, presumably because most people are having later breakfast and opening presents.

The park usually stays open until 10pm from 22nd December, and until 1am on New Years Eve. The parks are very busy once French schools have broken up for the holidays of course. ( 17th December to 3rd January ).

The nearest we have been to Christmas Day was 21st - 23rd I think, and I remember that as being freezing cold and very crowded! Dry and sunny though, and we left St Pancras in thick fog with planes grounded, so we were lucky to get there.

Sorry I can't help more - if it compares to the summer holidays which are also very busy, at peak times ride queues vary from 30mins for the least popular ones and up to 2 hrs for main ones like Big Thunder Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo Flying Elephants, Buzz Lightyears Laser Blast, Autopia cars ( slow unloading / loading time ), Crush's Coaster, Tower Of Terror and now probably Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop and RC Racer, Rock n Roller Coaster. I find that Space Mountain is not as busy these days, as regular visitors know it has become quite rattly, and can make your head hurt so prefer R&RC.

Rides like Phantom Manor, Small World, Pirates OTC are usually about 30 mins to an hour, but do keep moving with efficient turnover.

If you have been to WDW for Christmas Day and Boxing Day, I am sure you are used to long queue lines as I have heard that it is very crowded there at this time.

This website gives their opinion of queue times for average to busy days, but obviously it is just a guideline. They give POTC just 10 mins, and we find it longer than that in summer holidays.

dlrpmagic.com/planning/advice/queue-times/

You can read detailed descriptions about the individual rides and attractions in both parks on DLRPMagic, with their capacity, so this may help.This page is for Fantasyland.

dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/…

Hopefully another poster may be able to give more info from personal experience.

england
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply! We were looking at staying at one of the Disney hotels in a room with VIP fastpass. However the prices we have been quoted are ridiculous! It is cheaper to stay in Florida for 2 weeks. I will keep looking though as a better rate may come up. Thanks again!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day

You're welcome. One of our regular posters stays in a suite in the Sequoia Lodge to get VIP fastpass, as she says that is the cheapest. You may be able to buy one day VIP FPs from the New York, Disneyland Hotel or Guest Services in City Hall ( Town Square ) but they do cost € 60!

We have been in the summer holidays most years, and manage perfectly well with EMH and planning our day. The Studios has more large capacity theatre shows for busy times of the day, or do the less popular attractions like walking around Adventure Isle, Riverboat around Big Thunder Mountain, Cabine Des Robinson, Nautilus submarine, and rides with fast loading time.

DLP is not cheap if you stay onsite, but you only have a few days of spending money, not 2 weeks or more like Florida, so still a cheaper trip. Our holidays to WDW staying in All Star Movies cost around £5000 for 2 weeks with flights without spending or food money.

Three days is good for DLP when not too crowded, but at busy times of the year you need 4 or 5 days to see and do everything, and some favourite rides again.

The sad thing at the moment is that we have heard that the electrical parade will not be running this year for some reason, although they may be putting on some more Christmas shows. Fireworks are only on New Years Eve, Summer Season and special celebration days, not every night like when we were in Florida.

Hope you get sorted and enjoy your visit!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day

You have to bear in mind that this is Europe, so not comparable with hotels in America. Look at prices of hotels in Paris!!

Food prices are obviously higher than in the US as well, and the French are not very good at Fast Food! We find the all you can eat buffets are good value for money with lots of choice for everyone, and there are some very good table service restaurants.

Inventions buffet in the Disneyland Hotel is amazing - Characters at dinner and Sunday Brunch,but not at lunchtimes on other days, so cheaper.

The better Disney hotels and park restaurants do special meals at Christmas and New Year for set prices, which you MUST book well in advance.

Dining reservations is +33 160 30 40 50, or can be added to a Disney package booking.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day

The current offer ends on 30th June. No way of knowing what may be offered next!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day

The Disney website is not always the cheapest. Worth checking some others that sell DLP hotel/ tickets packages as well.

When I went by Eurostar in January as a very last minute trip ( 4 days! ) Disney had nothing available, nor transport, but I got everything I wanted booking with Eurostar, including 1st class travel upgrade one way!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day

The Kyriad is usually the cheapest Associated hotel, but you don't get EMH and have to use the shuttle buses or have a 30 - 40 min walk crossing the resort perimeter road. The buses can be a bit of a scrum at some European visitors don't queue and have appalling manners!

There are cheaper options outside resort but close to a railway station, so easy to get to the parks. Val D'Europe, Bussy St Georges or Torcy are one, two and three stops from Disney so does not take long.

See Top Questions on MLV forum page about where to stay.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 22:30
Warwickshire
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day

Hi

We have been at xmas 4 times now but missed last year

When we have been there xmas eve is very busy untill early eve then it went very quite and we walked onto most rides

Xmas day and boxing day are prob on par with wdw florida at xmas

but on a smaller scale

Since the studio opened we tend to go there on xmas day as most people head to Magic Kingdom but aim to get there when they open on our last visit the worst wait we had was for crush that was a hour and a half on xmas day

Last time we went it was very cold so take really warm jackets ect

Hope this helps

Annmarie

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,371 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day

Thanks for adding the info annmarie. The Studios gates open at 0930 for visitors to enter and begin queueing for rides.

Most people run straight to Crush's Coaster. In summer holiday time it goes up to 2 hr queue immediately, and stays like that pretty much all day.

At less busy times of the year Crush is usually between 30 - 60 mins.

10. Re: Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 12:18