We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia

UK
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Air Asia

Never again will I fly with this budget airline whilst in South East Asia. I flew with Air Asia twice in one day. First flight was from Langkawi Malaysia to KL and the second flight was KL to Bangkok. At some point my brand new digital camera was stolen from my checked in baggage but I have no way of proving at which destination this occured. I am so upset and angry. I normally never leave any thing of any value in my luggage but on this one occasion I did, and to my dismay I am now left with no camera and no photos for the remainder of my trip. I have always used this airline but I will never do so again. What a bunch of thieves!!

115 replies to this topic
Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia

You have my commiseration. On my flight from KL to Phuket on March 31 our combination locks were stolen from our suitcases and the security seals were broken and thus, our belongings were ransacked. Fortunately for us, nothing of value was in our checked in luggage, but we are left feeling bitterly disappointed with an airline that we have flown numerous times on. I too, will no longer be flying with Air Asia.

bangkok
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia

Air Asia's marketing hype is just that..it vanishes through thin air (sic) once you've checked-in. so much to desire...even paying 250 baht for a special seat (thereby not rushing to it and get your overhead baggage compartment occupied by other people's stuff) does not guarantee a smooth sailing (?). happened to us in our phuket to bangkok flight. they let you get on the shuttle bus first but in getting off it's free for all. what is the principle of it then? i think air asia has become so spoiled thinking they are doing the public some good service when in fact we are all being ripped off subtlely. better pay more with another airline at least you get a better service upfront.

Edited: 09 April 2010, 17:27
PJ malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia

the luggage bags of my sis and mine were broken in 2 occasion of flying with air asia, for mine, the handle was broken and lost, for my sis, the zip was spoilt and the stand is cracked... sigh...

http://mindy-cher.blogspot.com/

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia

Sorry but I have to disagree with you all until I am proven otherwise. Our experience with Air Asia was competely the opposite. We flew Phuket to Bangkok and my husband developed an ear infection just before we departed but didn't tell me till mid flight. At this point nothing can be doen but ride it out. Lucky for us we were seated seats 1A and 1B but as we descended the effect took hold and he was in excruciating pain and the air hostess couldn't have been more helpful. She aided us in anyway we needed so our view of Air Asia is all good to the point we have booked our whole trip flying with them for this years holiday which includes KL and Thailand.

signed: Akaroabp

Kuala Terengganu...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia

I won't be flying AA again either. They left my luggage during a domestic flight from Kuala Terengganu to KL and I had a whole day for them to deliver it to me (Dec 23, 2009). Unfortunately, they did not and I went off to Melbourne with just my laptop and two cameras. I did not buy anything else because I thought my luggage would be following soon after. How wrong I was! I only got my luggage 2 weeks later (arrived Jan 5th and I picked it up Jan 7th) and I had to go all the way to the airport to retrieve it. Flight from KL to Melbourne takes under 8 hours, you'd think my luggage was being sent from Saturn! Brought this up to Tony Fernandes on his FB page, he seemed concerned, but the customer service rep was no help, saying that I had received my luggage, so no compensation. So I informed TF again and the rep contacted me and left me the number to their insurance. I called them and they said that they didn't cover luggage delays. Why give me the number if you know it's not going to help! A delay of two days is acceptable, but two weeks? My luggage was still in KL on the 4th of January! Never again on AA! And yes, it was my fault for buying insurance for the international trip and not domestic. Wasted my time, money (buying the battery charger, toiletries) and lost valuable photo ops. Good thing I was in Australia for 5 weeks.

Kuala Lumpur...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia

Traveled from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok last week on AA. On receiving the luggage in Bangkok, found that it was wet and one luggage leg stand missing with the screw sticking out of the bottom. I guess you get the quality of service that you pay for.

Washington, DC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia

Never Again. Never Again. I flew Air Asia on 12 flights over 28 days in the Philippines, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar. On all 12 flights, I had paid for the early boarding, but they only called for it 3 times. Get this---with less than 24 hours notice, they decided to change the departure time on the 1 daily flight from Clark Field, Philippines to Kota Kinabalu from 6PM to 4PM. They decided to leave EARLY. I received the email that morning when I was on a jungle trip in northern Luzon. I had to cancel the trip and hire a car to get me to the airport at the earlier time.

I had bought a ticket months earlier to fly from Jakarta nonstop to Makassar. But a few months later, they decided to stop serving that route entirely. They refused to refund my money and finally after 6 attempts, they only gave me a credit for a future flight, but only a flight on Indonesian Air Asia. Since I could not get to Makassar from Jakarta, they also refused to give any refund or any credit for what would have been my flight after touring Makassar onward to Kuala Lumpur. Time after time, the various airport Air Asia managers with whom I spoke insisted they were not able to correct the obvious problems and told me to use the Air Asia website to ask for a refund. I did 7 times and never got a reply. The Air Asia website help line is worthless, and it is almost impossible to even get a phone number to call anyone. I live in the US and had to call London, the nearest Air Asia office. The manager there, Mr. Pardithian, refused 3 times to offer a refund for the route they no longer flew. I had another day with a flight at 8AM from Medan to Kuala Lumpur taking 1 hour and a different Air Asia flight out at 4PM. They messed that up because the morning flight was nearly 3 hours late on departure and the 4PM departure on the connecting flight was moved to 1PM. I had to wait 2 full days for the next flight.

Bottom LIne: Air Asia is not run as a professional airline. They have expanded too fast and lost all ability to determine quality control. They absolutely have no concerns about the customer. Never, ever take more than 1 Air Asia flight on a calendar day---your odds of making the connection are less than 50-50. By the time I added up the lost money due to extra nights lodging due to their canceled flight, their nonrefund of tickets for routes they no longer flew, extra buses or cabs back to the airport, etc., it would have been better to fly an airline run by adults----somehing you don't find at Air Asia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia

I feel sorry for you. I flew AirAsia before, everything was ok, just ok. However, maybe I had flown other cheap airlines, EasyJet, and Rennair, other ones in Europe, I was ready for their 'bottom-line' service, and charge-through-your-nose methodology when you want anything additional. Often enough the extras are waste of money and time. Feed-you for A$7, I couldn't afford a disappointment, to be honest, with that kind of money. One has to be super prepared when flying these cheapies, no over weighed/sized checked-in luggage/hand-carry, not even two pieces of hand-carries when one is your camera bag and the other is your travel-document pack. Priority boarding is always a misery, so forget it. I only pay to pick my seat, other extras - don't waste my time.

In regard to baggage handling, I have had and heard so many bad experiences even with the biggest major airlines, including brand new suitcase wheels/handle broken into pieces, delays, near-destroyed when collected on carousel. I flew once with Finnair, I arrived in Hong Kong, but my bag was delayed for 5 days. They sent it Beijing, while I was heading for Hong Kong. The bag then went to Shanghai, etc, etc. When you book with cheap airlines, they get you to accept terms and conditions that release their responsibilities. things that only when you encounter, otherwise you wouldn't consider much about.

I don't buy expensive suitcase anymore, particularly with very tight baggage limit practice these days, good quality suitcase weighs 4-5 kgs itself, you only have paid for 20kgs, besides I can guarantee you will be heart-broken when you see it again.

People say never with this airline, that airline again. Well, for myself if I was willing to pay the extra $500-$700 to fly a mainstream airline, I wouldn't have had the bad experience. But honestly, with mainstream airlines charging so much, I just will never say never to budget airlines.

Rather I will prepare my bags for the worst scenarios possible.

Besides, I have learned to use the 2-dollar shops or pound-shops in every country. Saves me bringing a lot of things, including towels, clothes, toiletries, etc, etc. Buy use and dispose, no need to bring/carry back. $2 shops, what a gem!

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia

Hey Guys,

I don't really share your bad experiences with AirAsia. I've flown them more than 20 times and I have no major issues with them. They are cheap and quite reliable: they've never lost my bag, they've never denied me boarding and although they are chronically late, I've never been delayed by more than an hour.

Basically, like all budget airlines, you get what you pay for. So if you haven't booked luggage you have to pay, if you want seats together you have to pay, the low cost airport in Kuala Lumpur is like a bus station so no frills there either (long queues and no transit facilities). Still I will continue to fly them. Especially compared to low cost carriers in Europe they offer more perks: I like the fact that you can pre-book meals, I like the destinations they serve, I like the fact that you can select your seat beforehand.

So, all in all, for simple itineraries in Asia I think AirAsia is a good option.

Washington, DC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia

I agree you get what you pay for, but my comments were directed at what I paid for and didn't get. I paid for early boarding and didn't get it on 9 of my 12 flights. I paid for transportation from Jakarta to Makassar and didn't get it because they stopped serving that route entirely and wouldn't give a refund. And they wouldn't give a refund for what would have been my flight outbound from Makassar to my next destination.

And on another route, leaving 2 hours EARLY when there is only 1 flight a day and only giving a few hours notice has nothing to do with whether you can prebook meals or seats or various weights of luggage---their on-board service is fine, but I fly them to get from Point A to Point B. Leaving late is one thing, but leaving 2 hours early and also not giving refunds when the decision to stop service on a particular route is 100% their decision is not professional and not ethical. I have flown them 34 times in the past 3 years in 10 countries and have noticed a measureable decline systemwide in their quality of management and respect for the customer.

Reply to: Air Asia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted