We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Winterberg

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
404 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Winterberg

My husband and I will be in the area early June - what are some good day trips from Winterberg? We will have a car, but are willing to travel by train. Interested in history, food, music, scenery.

3 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Winterberg

I don't know the area west of Winterberg. East and south of it there are f.i. these destinations:

Edersee: A barrier lake east of Winterberg; one of the biggest barrier lakes in Germany, located in a beautiful forest area, with castle Waldeck upon the lake(cable car from lake to castle), cruise ships/ferries

Nationalpark Kellerwald: Beech forest national park south of the barrier lake

Fritzlar: small beautiful medieval town east of the lake, thus downstream, at the river Eder

Marburg (Lahn): medium sized medieval town south of Winterberg( and south of Frankenberg), with castle

Frankenberg (Eder): small town south of Winterberg, upstream of the lake, at the river Eder

A bit further away you could visit the castle park in Kassel (Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe) and combine it with either Fritzlar or Hannoversch-Münden (another nice old town similar to Fritzlar, but further northeast)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Winterberg

And the old town of Korbach, on the way to Waldeck/lake Edersee.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
404 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Winterberg

Thank you - a lot of information I had no idea about.

Reply to: Day trips from Winterberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Winterberg