We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
166 reviews
Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

We're looking at renting an apartment in Garden des Hesperides or Terres Marines building in May. Anyone have experience at either of these? How are the views, walk to town, apt. condition? Don't plan on using the pool, will hike, take boat trip, and spend a couple days doing day trips.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

We have an apartment in Terres Marines. The view is breathtaking on the Baie de Cassis and Cap Canaille due to it being higher up. You can find plenty of pictures on internet, or I can send you one, I have plenty! Every morning opening the shutters is just as awesome as the morning before. The Terres Marines puts you that much closer to the trail for the calanques, and due to its location it is very calm, with little traffic. The residence is in a magnificent gardens/park like setting which should be in bloom at that point.. You are about a 10mn walk down hill from the port, 5 minutes or so more on the way up. A dip in the pool isn't that bad after a hike, and you can actually swim and not just foot bathe as it is 25 meters. I recommend...Les Terres Marines!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 00:06
atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
166 reviews
2. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Thank you very much, that's just what I needed to know. Trip Advisor comes thru again! If I just have time for 2 hikes any suggestions?

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

The calanque you do not want to miss is Envau. However you seem to be an avid hiker so that alone may not be enough.

When you say 2 hikes what time frame are you looking at for each one and what level of difficulty? If you are looking for the ultimate calanques experience there is chemin de Grande Randonnee that goes from Marseille to Cassis, takes several hours and requires some experience and gear (not ropes but at least adequate footwear which you evidently have, just to illustrate that it is not a bathing suit flip flop beginners walk....).

And if you have a vehicle you could then consider doing the Mont Sainte Victoire outside of Aix en Provence, for a second hike with some degree (low, again not a flip flop stroll) of difficulty.

atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
166 reviews
4. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Yes I am a avid hiker, but my husband is not, so maybe I can talk him into 2 half day hikes. Envau sounds good, where does the trail start, and what is the elevation gain to Mt. Saint Victoire, we will have a car.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Here is the TA post about Sainte Victoire: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187209-d2…

Marseille to Cassis is not a good idea after all, it takes at least 6 hours, maybe even more like 8! (I obviously never did this!) The trail for the 3 calanques liked to Cassis, Port Pin, Port Miou and Envau starts not too far from the Terres Marines: horizon-montagne.com/index.php/randonn%C3%A9… but also the link to the Tourist Office for the calanques: ot-cassis.com/en/les-calanques-par-les-senti…

atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
166 reviews
6. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Great info, merci beaucoup!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Je vous en prie!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Je vous en prie!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

You'll spot the exact location of Terres Marines here:

www.randogps.net/en/gps-rando-carte-ign.php… CALANQUES

Montagne Ste Victoire with elevation and maps:

randogps.net/en/…

www.randogps.net/en/gps-rando-carte-ign.php… Holy Victory

You might enjoy the view from the coastal cliffs of Cap Canaille. Almost 400 meters high

randogps.net/en/…

The close by Massif de la Ste Baume and the holly Cave are insteresting too and would make a change from the barren mediterranean mounts.

valeriebarrow.com/jehanne-darc/travels-to-sa…

atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
166 reviews
10. Re: Cassis Apartment - east side or west side?

Cool, I didn't know about Sainte Baume, will add it to the list, thanks

Get answers to your questions about Cassis
Recent Conversations