We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis or Bandol?

poole
Level Contributor
76 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Cassis or Bandol?

We are trying to decide between staying in Bandol or Cassis after a couple of days in marseille . We will be there the first week in April.

Any views?

We are looking to relax by the sea, eat nice food and if the weather isn't so good be able to visit oither villages/towns. we are travelling by train so the destination town is quite important.

Thanks Bettybell

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

I prefer Cassis because I think it's prettier than Bandol. That's a personal opinion, though, and it's a while since I was last there. However, the station is a long way out of town and up a fairly daunting hill. I was in Bandol a couple of weeks back and found a lot of the seafront area being dug up for roadworks. The work may be finished by April. As another alternative, you might consider Sanary-sur-Mer which is smaller and has a lot of charm.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,496 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

I'd have to say Cassis as well for the same reason. Bandol is fine but Cassis is a really pretty little place.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

Several years ago, we were in Bandol for a tequila convention (go figure!) and TBH, it's not on our "go back" list, but it was okay. There's an island a short distance off the coast that I think is owned by the Rothschild family (or another spirits dynasty), and you get there by a ferry that runs frequently to the shoreline. You can see the island in some of these travelers' pictures and you didn't say, but if you are traveling with children (especially), the island location could work for you.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g196672-Bandol_Frenc…

Traveling between Bandol and Marseilles was easy by train, but check TGV Europe for the frequency of the trains. We had quite a wait between when we arrived at the train station and caught a train If I remember correctly, there was bus service between the train station and the airport. We couldn't get a taxi to take us to the ferry, and after we found ourselves stranded in the parking lot, surrounded by teenagers in heat and sitting on our suitcase sipping on a mini bottle of wine we'd packed (we were exasperated and made quite a picture),a very nice resident offered to give us a ride. It was a short distance and with less luggage, it would have been very walkable. The route to the coastline is a pretty direct downhill walk from the train station, and something we could have done had we known more before we traveled (this was before TA!).

The best part of the trip is that we discovered Provence roses, and the Bandol region is where a number of good vineyards are located. If you can work out the transportation, however, my instincts would be to look at Cassis or the destination papluviose suggested, but don't cross Bandol off your list!

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

The Rothschilds were bankers. The island belonged to Paul Ricard the pastis zillionaire, and is imo vile, it's an attempt to create a whimsical destination island using money but no taste.

I stayed in Bandol for a week once and wouldn't go back there even if someone else was paying. Cassis is lovely though.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

"Ricard!" That's it...I knew it started with an "R" and was a little unsure! I think the Ricards own a tequila and that's how we ended up in the south of France for such a meeting.

I kind of thought the same thing thing about the island...a small attempt to create a tiny fantasy (a la a mini "Disney"), but it didn't quite make it. However, I'll concede that it works for some travelers and with children, it might be okay....

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

I been to Bandol, but never stayed there. I have stayed at Cassis and LOVED it. Very relaxing. We stayed at Hotel de la Plage Mahongany. It was a little walk to the main part of the town but we didn't mind it, and we had a small beach in front of the hotel.

St. John's, NL
Level Contributor
49 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

I've stayed in both and I much prefer Cassis. It's smaller, friendlier and more of what I think of when someone says "Provence". But they're not far apart, although you would need a car as the train stations are both out of the town centre.

8. Re: Cassis or Bandol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Cassis