We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

child carseat laws in france

Elderslie, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
15 helpful votes
child carseat laws in france
Save

my wife and i are taking our 2 kids to disneyland for a few days in dec. and we're hiring a hertz car at beauvais airport,..according to there website childseats are compulsory for children under 11 and they charge a fee of 36 euros per seat which i think is pretty excessive considering the car itself is only 72 euros for 4 days..are the french police strict on this law?..i would never put my kids at risk but surely one child seat and my oldest strapped in back would be sufficient..

paris
Level Contributor
639 posts
1. Re: child carseat laws in france
Save

A car seat is mandatory for children under 10 years old

The rule is very strict if the child is smaller than 1.10 meter; there is a tolerance for a child between 1.10m and 1.50m if the belt comes over the shoulder (and doesn't reach the neck)

Under 18 kilograms a full cat seat is mandatory, else the smaller type is accepted.

And yes, the rule is enforced.

2. Re: child carseat laws in france

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2015, 08:16
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
32,737 posts
101 reviews
134 helpful votes
3. Re: child carseat laws in france
Save

jkr - if you are booking seats with Hertz, make sure you confirm in writing with them the age and size of your kids.

We hired a car with Hertz in Heathrow in July 1999. I rang beforehand and specified that I needed a seat for a big child aged almost 3 years.

What I got was a seat suitable for a 3 month old baby, and which wouldn't have even fitted my daughter when she was that age. I had to go and buy a seat in Mothercare.

What we did when we were in France recently was use a big seat for the 6 year old and a booster seat for the 10 year old. We drove over so it wasn't an issue.

You could bring a booster seat with you for the older child and hire a car seat for the younger child.

4. Re: child carseat laws in france

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:16
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.