We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Lajitas

Houston, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Lajitas

I've chosen a trip to Lajitas golf resort partly because my husband and I are interested in the train ride from Houston to Alpine; however, we only want to take the train one way and then rent a car to return. Is this place too remote to find a decent car rental? I'm having trouble.

Signed,

Worried about getting back

Mentioned in this post
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
776 Reviews
Lajitas, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Alpine
Alpine
Texas
5 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Lajitas

You will need a car to get from Alpine to Lajitas, unless you have arranged other transportation with the resort. It is about a two hour drive. There are car rental places in Alpine - www.yellowpages.com/alpine-tx/car-rental - but I do not recall seeing anywhere to rent a car in Lajitas.

Mentioned in this post
Alpine
Alpine
Texas
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
776 Reviews
Lajitas, TX
Bryan, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Lajitas

Lajitas is EXTREMELY remote and there's not a lot there. You'll be driving through pretty sparse terrain to even get there. Not sure if you could rent the car in Alpine and then drive it back to Houston.

Mentioned in this post
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
776 Reviews
Lajitas, TX
Alpine
Alpine
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Lajitas

Also wondering about the heat and impending wildfire issues in Lajitas right now; I am re-thinking my plan to visit this June and will perhaps reschedule for the fall. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
776 Reviews
Lajitas, TX
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Lajitas

I would reschedule for Fall. We were there in October and it was very nice in the mornings and evenings. Afternoons were still hot, but nothing like what it is right now. The high at Big Bend National Park is 113 today! Only you know your tolerance for heat, but if you are planning to golf, I would not want to do it in this heat.

Mentioned in this post
Big Bend National Park
Big Bend National Park
864 Reviews
Alpine, TX
Western New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Lajitas

My wife and I have visited Lajitas several times, usually in the Spring. I'd reschedule for the Fall when the temperatures will be much more moderate. You may want to check but I don't think the golf course is open at Lajitas right now.

It's possible to rent a car in Alpine, but as one poster noted I suspect it's difficult/expensive to do a one way rental to Houston.

By the way, I played the golf course in March, it's a spectacular layout.

Mentioned in this post
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
776 Reviews
Lajitas, TX
Alpine
Alpine
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Reply to: Traveling to Lajitas