We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

todi or spoleto

Which Todi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brunswick, Maine
9 posts
Save Topic
todi or spoleto

has anyone stayed in either place? is one recommended over the other and why?

thanks,

SOfrommaine

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: todi or spoleto

Try and get to see both for they're equally as lovely but very different in feel. Spoleto's the larger with a very classy old town covering quite an extensive area going uphill. Numerous lanes of very beautiful palazzi, good shops, beautiful cathedral with pretty cathedral square to rival any in Tuscany, a Roman theatre, an extraordinary acquaduct, it's a very special place with some excellent restaurants and good accommodation options. Todi's far smaller but just as charming with a few narrow lanes, beautiful churches and high on a hill amidst sublime countryside. If you really only have time for one and it were me I'd opt for Spoleto but, as I said, try and see both. Todi only requires a couple of hours max.

Brunswick, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: todi or spoleto

Thank you so much. My husband is 72 and is worried about whether or not

the steep up and down stairs might be too much for him in Todi.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: todi or spoleto

In all honesty, there's more uphill walking in Spoleto than in Todi especially now that there's a ZTL so you can't take your car up into the old town (unless you're staying at hotel). If you considered staying at a hotel within the centro storico, it would be easier. If not, I'd opt for Todi, if I were you.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: todi or spoleto

if you wish to stay in a place with easy walking access you might want to consider Bevagna. However please note that you cannot do sightseeing by car as the historic centres of hill-towns are closed to the traffic. You will have to walk anyway and - being Umbria very hilly- you are bound to find slopes everywhere.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 05:23
Brunswick, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: todi or spoleto

thanks so much for your reply.

just to clarify, is the driving distance from spoleto to todi a couple of hours drive?

here are some apartments in spoleto: Spoletium Holiday Apartments. do you know anything about them, or people who have rented apartments there?

thanks so much.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: todi or spoleto

I have had good luck with this site spoleto-apartments.com/index.php…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,153 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: todi or spoleto

It's only an hour from Todi to Spoleto whether you take the overland mountain route (which I recommend) or stay on the main highway and loop around. I definitely feel there's more walking challenges in Spoleto than Todi. But you'll need to deal with it in any of the villages. We never had an issue. My wife is 69 and she was always totally fine.

We stayed at an agriturismo (Malvarina) near Assisi and commuted around. It was perfect.

Here's some pix to get you excited:

flickr.com/photos/…

Have fun.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: todi or spoleto

We have been to both places and they are both wonderful. Todi is smaller but get a good guidebook because there are some charming things to discover. Spoleto is larger and also wonderful. If you go in the summer during the Opera festival, the town will be terribly crowded, so check your dates. There is actually quite a lot to do in Spoleto and I recommend highly the Hotel dei Cavalieri. It is just beautiful, has a great staff and prices are much lower in Umbria. Delicous food everywhere I have been in the region. Spoleto is probably the more beautiful of the two and it's a bit of steep walk from end to end of town.

9. Re: todi or spoleto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Todi