We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spoleto damage from earthquake

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spoleto damage from earthquake

Was Spoleto damaged? Should tourists stay away from area?

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Province of Perugia, Italy
13 replies to this topic
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

I don't know about Spoleto, but I was recently looking at a live webcam of Cerreto di Spoleto, a hill town to the east of Spoleto (and probably closer to the quake) and did not see any signs of damage, emergency vehicles, lack of power, etc. I had a very good impression of the Spoleto tourist information office when I was there and suggest you contact them or your hotel for info.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

earthquaketrack.com/it-18-spoleto/recent

You can check about daily earthquakes on this site. It shows the epicenter and how far they reaching. Not all old buildings are 100 percent earthquake proof, just like anywhere else. There is not much information on Internet, I think Italy is worried about the tourism. But do earthquakes stop us going to CA? The timing is everything...

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
3. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2016, 23:05

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

Guys, stop, why would you avoid Umbria? The damage was restricted to a couple of towns, there are no other problems in the area.

Spoleto was not damaged. Nothing else was damaged except two major towns, Amatrice, Arquata del Tronto, and less so in Norcia and a few small towns in the same small area in the hills.

Assisi was not affected, most of Umbria was not affected, so relax.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Spoleto
Spoleto
Norcia
Norcia
Assisi
Assisi
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

BTW, feeling an earthquake and suffering damage are two very different things, stop giving wrong information.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

earthquaketrack.com/us-ca-san-francisco/rece…

Here, there were lots of earthquakes the last month near San Francisco.

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

JanaAnna is completely wrong!

There were no serious damages in Spoleto, not at all. And there are no reasons to avoid the area right now.

they could feel the earthquake, but there was no serious damage. The hit area it's about 50 km east.

I've read last week the report of the Seismographic center of Perugia (named after Father Andrea Bina, a Benedictine monk inventor of the seismograph), it's responsible for all Umbria region, and for Spoleto and it's area it has been reported that there are no risks.

I would believe them, since they prevented a true disaster in 1997 when they announced the earthquake in the Umbria region, forcing the population to live outside their houses for around a month in Colfiorito, that later became the epicentre of the earthquake of the 26th September, but no deaths were reported in the town thanks to the scientists of the center (that even today are Benedictine monks).

The 11 deaths of that earthquake came from the town of Nocera Umbra and from Assisi (when part of the San Francesco basilica's ceiling collapsed above 4 people inspecting the damages of the earthquake), but beside heavy damages to the buildings, most of the lives were spared...

Edited: 01 September 2016, 23:03
Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Perugia
Perugia
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Turin
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

There aren't so much informations on the internet about Spoleto because Spoleto isn't in the area affected by the earthquake. and not because "Italy is worried about tourism".

The names of hit cities and villages have been published all over the world in almost all languages, is it so difficult to check before assuming? It would be, at least, a matter of respect.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Italy
Italy
Europe
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

If a fairly large, and rich in important monuments, town as Spoleto had been struck by the earthquake, the medias would have incredibly stressed this news. No news, good news.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Spoleto, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spoleto damage from earthquake

I am an American living in historical center Spoleto, over 9 years now. Sure the quakes when they happen scare the bi-doodles out of you but we are all fine. I have learned a lot about what happens during these quakes as the Italian protocol. "CIVILE PROTECTIONE" is called in and asked to survey any cracks. They either give you a thumbs up, down or need an adjustment. The building next to me got a thumbs down and was shut along with the arch. But in less than one month, they sent in their repair guys who SURED it all up and it re-opened. I do not believe Spoleto has been hit directly as the epicenter of a quake but the rumblings has loosened pieces of the facades of buildings. Then in their own time, the city repairs it. I personally have been helping in the relief area of Norcia... Now they were hit and hit hard. The historical center is closed as numerous building have literally fallen... but if you go back in history, you will see that Norcia has this history... In reality, any town important to italy that has been hit by a severe earthquake, they repair it or rebuild it... it is their way. If it makes you all feel any better, I live her with my 15 year old daughter and we go ahead... still loving our life here

Edited: 26 January 2017, 02:08
Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Norcia
Norcia
Reply to: Spoleto damage from earthquake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted