We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

I'm trying to determine if there is bus service between Spoleto and Ascoli Piceno. I'm guessing there is bus service from Spoleto to Norcia but wondering if I can continue on to Ascoli Piceno. After Ascoli Piceno I plan to circle back to Macerata by train then return to Umbria via Foligno.

Any thoughts and/or help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Province of Perugia, Italy
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Province of Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Norcia
Norcia
Macerata
Macerata
Province of Macerata, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Foligno
Foligno
9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
731 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

I can only find this one from Norcia to Ascoli but it is only in effect in August and only once a week on Saturday. Otherwise you could train to Ascoli, about a 5 hr trip.

startspa.it/uploads/…Orario_Cascia.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Norcia
Norcia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

thank you - I may have to rethink my trip a bit and just do Macerata and add another Umbrian town before heading to Florence. Once again - thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Macerata
Macerata
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,545 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

I didn't manage to find anything else but the connection for Saturdays of August. Anyway, you could consider train. It is very slow, but there are some options with just one change in Ancona; it's not adviceable if you don't spend at least one night in Ascoli, but it could be worth, it is a really charming town.

Mentioned in this post
Ancona
Ancona
Province of Ancona, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

thank you. Planning on staying 5 days in Ascoli Piceno.

Mentioned in this post
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

I just did the reverse: Ascoli Piceno to Macerata to Spoleto, starting in Pesaro. 3 nights in each town. When in Macerata, dinner at Osteria dei Fiori was excellent, porchetta from the porchetteria on the square was very tasty, and gelato from the shop next to the porchetteria is the best. I'm sure you'll find plenty of places for olives in Ascoli but I especially enjoyed meals at Dica Duca. Be aware that a number of locations are closed because of the earthquake. The volunteers in the Baptistry can give you a list of open churches. Have a great time - Ascoli Piceno is wonderful!

Mentioned in this post
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Macerata
Macerata
Spoleto
Spoleto
Pesaro
Pesaro
Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

thank you.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

I have taken the bus between Spoleto and Norcia, where I once stayed, and think, but am not sure, there was another bus from Norcia to Ascoli Piceno. I do know, however, that the bus I took was a Norcia-Spoleto-Norcia bus that made stops in between those two points, but not beyond either of them. You would have to check. Also keep in mind things in Norcia may still be messed up since an earthquake struck there and did much damagae to the historic center.

Regarding a suggestion to take the train, I imagine that would be a very roundabout route, as the train line that used to run between Spoleto and Norcia has been discontinued, torn up, and turned into a biking/hiking path, parts of which I have walked and recommend, but I certainly wouldn't recommend walking all the way from Spoleto to Norcia, at least not in one day.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Norcia
Norcia
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Salford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

The road from Norcia to Ascoli Piceno has been massively damaged by the recent earthquakes. I was driving it last month and had to divert through a twisting mountainous route that joined up with the Ascoli, Rieti Rome road. This put about 3 hours on our journey. The only bus route I know goes along this road, stopping in Rieti before going on to Rome. Never seen one that goes past Norcia to Spoleto. You could try Start buses on their website. Hope this helps. Sue

Mentioned in this post
Norcia
Norcia
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Rieti
Rieti
Province of Rieti, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Spoleto
Spoleto
Salford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno

Just been to Ascoli Piceno and had lunch in Dica Duca . Great food and good value.Sue

Mentioned in this post
Ascoli Piceno
Ascoli Piceno
Reply to: Spoleto to Ascoli Piceno
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;