We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

Which Praiano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

I am going to Amalfi this Friday, taking the Eurostar to Salerno, and would be grateful if anyone could tell me how to get from the train station to the SITA bus station. Many thanks.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

Good news: the SITA bus for Amalfi departs from directly outside the front doors of the Salerno train station. Walk approx. 10 meters to the bus stop. Purchase bus ticket from the newsstand inside the station. On the RETURN trip from Amalfi to Salerno, the bus stops approx. 200 meters from the station (3 minutes on foot).

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

Grazie mille, GAC!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
111 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

GAC, could you tell me how much the SITA bus from Salerno to Amalfi usually costs? If I get off at Amalfi and change to a bus to Praiano, I assume I have to buy another ticket? Do you know anything about making that transfer-- is it hard? Are the buses generally doable people with light luggage (carry-ons)? Thanks!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

The SITA bus between Salerno and Amalfi costs 3.60 Euros each way.

The SITA bus between Amalfi and Praiano costs 2.40 Euros each way.

If you're going from Salerno direct to Praiano, you might as well purchase a 24-hour UNICO COSTIERA SITA bus ticket for 7.20 Euros, which is valid for 24 hours from first use. There is also a 3-day UNICO COSTIERA ticket for the Amalfi Coast SITA buses for 18 Euros.

There is also the 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA 3T Tourist ticket for 20 Euros, which is valid on a lot of local transportation (buses and trains) throughout the Campania Region (Including the SITA buses along the Amalfi Coast). You can purchase these tickets from the newsstand inside the Salerno train station.

The SITA bus connection in Amalfi (Piazza Flavio Gioia) takes less than 30 seconds on foot (approx. 20 meters). Also nearby is the smaller SITA bus going up the hill to Ravello (2.40 Euros each way).

The SITA buses along the coastline from Salerno to Sorrento have large underfloor holds for heavy luggage. The bus going up the hill to Ravello is smaller, and I don't remember if it has a luggage hold (but you can haul the suitcases up the steps onto the bus, which is likely to be crowded).

Many people spending at least 3 days along the Amalfi Coast find that the 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA 3T Tourist Ticket described above is a very good investment, since so many people go beyond the Amalfi Coast to visit Pompei, Paestum and elsewhere.

Alternatively, the 3-day CAMPANIA ARTECARD "tutta la regione" (27 Euros) is a good buy if you're planning to visit Pompei, Paestum, or other musuems or archeological sites covered by the ticket. This ticket also gives you the identical free transportation offered by the UNICO CAMPANIA 3T tourist ticket.

Don't confuse the UNICO CAMPANIA 3T Tourist ticket with the various UNICO COSTIERA tickets (the latter are valid only from Salerno to Sorrento, including Ravello).

NOTE: all prices quoted above are subject to variation at the time of actual travel.

www.sitabus.it

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

www.unicocampania.it

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

www.artecard.it

Edited: 03 April 2011, 09:26
Agassiz, B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

Thanks also from me GAC for answering this question. Can I just ask you one more? You wrote that you can buy the 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA 3T Tourist ticket at the newstand in the Salerno train station. Would you know if they also sell the 3-day CAMPANIA ARTECARD "tutta la regione" (27 Euros) at this same newstand in Salerno ?

Edited: 03 April 2011, 12:42
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

I don't know whether the newsstand inside the Salerno train station also sells the CAMPANIA ARTECARDs. If not, I'm sure they are sold somewhere in Salerno (hopefully close to the train station).

You might ask them by sending an e-mail to:

info@campaniartecard.it

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

GAC, I must thank you -- again -- for your solid information. It was a breeze getting from the train station in Salerno to Amalfi/Ravello. A piece of advice: use the bathroom in the train station before boarding the train ... or it could get ugly.

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

... I meant before boarding the BUS.

Agassiz, B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

It looks like you CANNOT buy an artecard in Salerno. :(

I emailed info@campaniartecard.it and this is their response:

unfortunately in not possible to buy artecard at the train station in Salerno. You can uy artecard in paestum or at the first cultural site you’ll visit.

Best regards

Information and Reservation office Campania Artecard

From Italy: 800 600 601

From Abroad: (0039) 0639967650

Granada Hills, Ca
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from the train to the bus station in Salerno?

Thanks so much for good information. I am interested in purchasing the 3 day tutta la Regione for 27 Euros each. Can I buy this ticket at the Salerno train station or in Salerno somewhere? What about Amalfi? Can we purchase it in Amalfi for we will be staying there?

Thanks for reply.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 02:52