We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach access hotel

florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
beach access hotel

I am traveling to positano with my parents. They have difficulty with stairs and hills. Does anyone know of a hotel aside from bucco de baco, corvo dei saraceni or hotel marincanto that has beach access to get to ferry? I heard there was a hotel that has an elevator that leave you close to the beach. Any help is good Thank you-Jan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
1. Re: beach access hotel

I stayed last month at Hotel Vittorio which is affiliated with Hotel Pupetto. It is not a fancy hotel, but the rooms are a nice size and they have terraces. They have an elevator that takes you down to the wonderful terrace restaurant and beach. There is, however, a walkway that has a few slight hilly parts - but very mild - that leads directly to the port.

Staying at this hotel you can, if necessary, avoid the many steps throughout the village of Positano which, of course, also means you miss the heart of the village.

They offer a very nice breakfast with the room - fruit, yogurt, cheese, ham, breads, coissants, etc.

If you are looking for a more elegant type of hotel, this would not be the choice, but I have now stayed there three times and love it for its location and the restaurant which is also very good.

www.hotelvittoriapositano.com/hotel_eng.htm

florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
2. Re: beach access hotel

Thank you so much for your help. Can I ask you a few questions? My parents can walk however not far or many stairs, is it easy access to the ferry? Is it easy to get around the hotel? Is one room better than another?Do you know if the hotel offers any type of transportation to the town of Positano or to and from train station in Naples?

Regards,

Jan Warmund

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: beach access hotel

Hotel Vittoria doesn't have transportation to the centre of town, in fact it's not near the road side at all so you would need to take stairs to reach it. If they arrived by ferry they will need to walk around a cliff side (bit hilly) to get to the sister hotel Pupetto then catch the lift to Vittoria, or get the water taxi to drop them off at Fornillo Beach. The walk takes a good 10 minutes for an average (youngish) person and has some stairs. For Positano this is inevitable.

The hotel has a lift inside, but it's best rooms are the newer ones in the beach direction. They have a sort of garden patio but no balcony. The others are smaller and have a balcony facing the town with the sea on the right side.

The hotel has a paid porter service but you will need to organize a car service from Naples train station. Nick at Sorrento Rainbow Car service (thedriver we use) can give you an idea of how much it will cost you.

info@sorrentorainbowcarservice.it

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
4. Re: beach access hotel

That is the problem that I hadn't thought of - if dropped off by car at the hotel, there are quite a few stairs down leading to the entrance of the hotel - but, there is really no way at all to not face either stairs or significant climbs. If walking up into the village from the beach and where the ferry drops you off, you will be going up up and up. If you take the little internal bus, you still need to get to the road to get the bus.

I hadn't thought of the idea of a water taxi from the area where the ferries dock to take you to Fornillo Beach - but, truthfully, if walking stairs or steep(ish) climbs are problematic, you may want to re-think Positano. It is a vertical city with all that entails.

Perhaps you could stay in Sorrento and take a day trip to Positano? I worry that you will be very disappointed as will your parents.

florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
5. Re: beach access hotel

Thanks for all of your help and very useful information.

Sincerely,

Jan

florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
6. Re: beach access hotel

Thanks for your help and very useful information.

Sincerely,

Jan

7. Re: beach access hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 14:17