We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Positano

ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Week in Positano

We are flying into Rome for two nights, then to a villa in Positano for a week. Need advice on easiest way to get to Positano with luggage, and what to do in Positano for the week, many thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Week in Positano

Private transfer from Rome to Positano is the easiest way, provided it's in your budget.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
2. Re: Week in Positano

You can save around 200 Euro if you take the train to Naples and have the driver pick you up there.

Or around 270 Euro if you take the bus from Rome that goes all the way to Positano in season.

There isn't enough to see in Positano to fill a week. Amalfi and Ravello are easy to reach; Pompeii and Herculaneum less so, and Paestum only with some trouble.

But there's nothing against just relaxing in Positano.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Week in Positano

We usually take the train from Rome to Naples and then have a private driver take us right to Positano. It is usually about 110 euros from Naples train station to Positano.

Things to do:

Day trips to Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento, Salerno

Dining: (our favorites)

Cafe Positano

La Sponda

La Tagliata

Da Vincenzo's

Brunos

Covio Dei Saraceni

Texas
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Week in Positano

Relax and enjoy la dolce vita!

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Week in Positano

Go to Capri and take a boat ride around the island with Gennarino!!! (You'll see his storefront in the Marina Grande called "Gennarino E Cindy".) It is an experience you'll never forget!

Tell him "Mariana" sent you...

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Week in Positano

In addition to all of the other suggestions: dine at Ristorante Max; take the bus up to Nocelle and enjoy the beautiful views and quiet. I'm glad that we had a driver for our transfers to and from FCO since we didn't have to wait for trains and buses. We used Tour of Italy and were pleased with the price and their service: www.tourofitaly.com.

new york
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Week in Positano

We just came back from a week in a great rental in Positano (after 2 nights in Rome, like you). Sorry, but I differ on some of the recommendations. After enjoying Max last year, we found the food very mediocre this year. We've stopped going to Da Vincenzo after many years because, again, they seem to be cutting corners and the food is just not as good while the atmosphere is more touristy. We enjoyed La Cambusa where we had a whole fish made for us in "aqua pazza" style. We also had a surprisingly great meal in the restaurant of the Poseidon hotel which is a beautiful terrace with a great view. (The vegetable soup, which was simple, perfectly cooked fresh veggies in broth, was among the best I've ever had). You can take a boat to Amalfi, walk around the town and have dinner at Da Gemma which we found to be really good. I highly recommend walking the "path of the gods" or "the three valleys" with Francesco Carpegna (www.walkingwiththegods.com) which is a breathtaking experience and a change from lying on the beach. (I wrote more about it in a recent posting).

What's amazing to me is that we've gone back to Positano for six or seven years and have always found something new to do. Enjoy!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Week in Positano

I agree with lldirect. September will be my 7th time in Positano. A good time relative depending on what you enjoy. For us, simply looking at the sea eating great food surrounded my friendly Italians is enough. We aren't into touristy things, but again all relative. We simply walk the town, stop eat, walk again and see what happens. In terms of transportation, you may want to see how much the flight is from Rome to Naples. At times it can be cheaper to fly. Take a taxi from the Naples station. Sit back and enjoy the view.

Again, lldirect is bang on about the food. Here is the list that I have compiled from other websites and friends.

Grottino Azzurro

Bar Internazionale'

Bar Celentano

Bar Mulini'

La Zagara

Ristorante da Costantino - free shutte service

Caffe Positano

La Tagliata

Lo Guarracino pizzeria

Da Constantino

C’era una volta

Il Grottino Azzurro

Lo Guarracino

Da Gabrisa

Villa Maria -

Cumpa Cosimo

Il Ritrovo

i a La Cambusa.

al barilotto del nonno

Enjoy!

Mattituck, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Week in Positano

It has been approximately three weeks since my vacation- spending four nights in Capri and five in Positano. Favorite restaurants on the Amalfi coast: Lo Guarricino (Positano), Lo Stuzzichino(Sant'Agata Sui Due Golfi), Villa Maria (Ravello), La Tagliata (Montepertuso), La Cambusa(Positano), Antico Borgo (Pontone), Da Teresa (Spiaggia di Santa Croce). Had dinner at Bar Bruno (Positano) which was good-- Dinner at La Sponda (Positano) was disappointing.

We also used Francesco Carpegna who was marvelous--

an engaging raconteur whose knowledge and experience enhanced our visits to Pompeii and the Archaelogical Museum in Naples. On another day, Francesco guided us on a hike through the Valle delle Ferriere and Valle dei Mulini-- one of the highlights of our vacation!!

In addition, we spent a magical day on a private boat tour along the Amalfi coast--using Cassiopea Positano.

Day visits included visiting: Sorrento, Termini, Sant'Agata, Amalfi, and Ravello

There is so much do on both the Sorrentine Peninsula and the Amalfi Coast-- using Positano as a base.

We only had a small taste and need to go back for more.

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Week in Positano

One restaurant I would add...

Donna Rosa in Montepertuso was amazing!