We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

right now we are renting a car just outside Siena for 5 nights in Montepulciano, then driving to Rome to drop off car outside of Termini Station.

from there we are taking an early train from Termini --> Salerno then the ferry to Positano.

is this one of the more direct approaches? any other, better ways? maybe drop the car at Siena, then train to Rome (or elsewhere) and another train to Salerno?

thanks.

34 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,970 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

Your earlier thread on this question didn't help clarify?

https:/…90930077

Sure you can drive to Rome if you want to but it would be overall more convenient to take the train to Salerno then ferry to Positano instead of having to drive into Rome - but, that's a personal choice.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

please retract message. i am going to stick with the itinerary above as this one appears to get me there the fastest by far. thanks to all that have helped in the previous thread.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

@MomCat1992 i think this might be my third thread actually, lol.

but that said, you raise an interesting point. i had thought driving and dropping in Rome would be the quickest way to get to Positano.

you seem to disagree?

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

I imagine this came up before, but Chiusi is a 40 minute drive, Hertz in the next block from the station opening at 9:30am [closed Sun.]. There are two train options to Napoli Centrale: 10:54-2:15, change in Termini; 11:45-3:29 direct. There are earlier trains.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

right - so going to Rome is the earliest (but maybe not easiest) option?

just wanted confirmation of that.

as of now i am picking car up in Siena, dropping off in Rome. train to Salerno.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,803 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

I've never understood adding extra steps into a travel day. You already have the car, why not just drive to Salerno and drop it off there, then get the ferry to Positano? That keeps it to two travel segments.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,970 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

Gosh - what time do you plan to leave Tuscany to get to Rome? That's a few hours drive in good conditions (no traffic, etc) -

I'm lazy on holiday - I'd probably ditch the car at 9:30 at Chiusi and sit back and relax on the trains to Salerno -

Good luck and have fun!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,803 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

Funny how we have different perspectives on what is more or less difficult. For me the schleping from car to train, getting the luggage on one train, then off and onto another one, is more hassle than just making the drive. Of course, I enjoy driving in Italy as much as I enjoy the train, so that part is a toss up.

On the autostrada you'd avoid Rome by taking the ring road around the city, although in the morning traffic does slow up as you approach the ring road (just like 95 slows up as you approach DC and have to decide which direction you're going to take on the beltway).

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

@MomCat1992 i suppose if you don't mind getting into Positano in the evening. it appears the earliest arrival into Salerno from Chiusi is ~4:30pm.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?

@elstravels - see i never thought of that, the perhaps most obvious approach.

i guess i was trying to avoid driving as much as possible...

Reply to: Montepulciano to Positano. Advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Positano