We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to keep stuff safe while swimming

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
How to keep stuff safe while swimming

What do people do when they're traveling alone and want to do something like swimming in the ocean in Positano? How do they protect their stuff while in the water? Any suggestions?

10 replies to this topic
Dublin
Level Contributor
331 posts
1. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

There are changing booths at Fornillo. They must have them at the main beach but I don't remember seeing them.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

I don't bring valuables down to the beach. If I hire a deck chair, I will tuck money/phone into the bottom of the bag and either put it under the chair or between chairs with a towel on top. On the public beach I do the same between the towels or in the bottom of the bag with a towel on top. Never had problems with theft. If you do lay a towel or a hat put large rocks on it as the wind can pick up suddenly.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

I agree with Rosa - never had a problem just leaving my bag between the beach chairs with a towel on top.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

Thanks everyone. We will be based in Sorrento and doing a day trip to Positano, which means we will be having cash and cards on us, and also our camera. So i wondered what most travelers do at the beach. We dont have a stay at a hotel in Positano to keep our stuff and head down to the beach, everything will be ON us.

Level Contributor
840 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

You can also buy waterproof bags to keep your valuablrs with you if you are too worried. Available on Amazon and Decathlon.

New York
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

People who stay at a hotel in Positano don't run back and forth to the hotel to get money, cards, camera, etc... throughout the day. They bring out what they need for the day. I tuck my items in my beach bag when I swim and leave my bag at the chair with a towel like Rosa and Engred. What does "everything will be ON us" mean? Bring a credit card and some cash for the day, not cash for the duration of your Italy trip and every single credit card. Leave it in your hotel in Sorrento same as people in Positano do.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

Yes, just look up "swim wallet" on Amazon and you'll see the variety of choices. Some are large enough to hold your smart phone, credit cards, money and even a passport if you feel more comfortable having it with you.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

I think we will look at buying the waterproof bags/ swim wallets for cash and cards. Thx for the help. We are a family of 4 adults but would like to avoid having to take turns staying 'guard' everytime on the sunbeds, while the others swim. Maybe a swim wallet will allow us to enjoy the ocean together and not have to worry about valuables.

Miriam, I meant everything like cash and cards for the day trip to Positano will be with us....on our self :)

Edited: 20 May 2018, 20:18
Dublin
Level Contributor
331 posts
9. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

Ok. My post about the changing booths is wrong. I've been talking to my daughter and you should go with whatever MirimumLisa says

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: How to keep stuff safe while swimming

Agreed - I don’t run back to the apartment for cash, etc, so I always have cash, credit cards, phone and Kindle when spending the day on the beach. Whether I am by myself or friends, I leave it all on my bag under the beach chair (as do most others) and have no problems.

Reply to: How to keep stuff safe while swimming
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted