We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash.... still needed?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cash.... still needed?

Hi, I'm traveling around Europe right now and heading to Naples, Positano and Rome next. I'm mostly in big cities (like London and Barcelona) and I found that I really don't ever use cash. I put everything on the credit/debit card. (I have cards with no foreign transaction fees).

I'm not worried about big cities like Rome, but I am concerned about Positano. Is there any reason I should make sure to have some Euros on me? I'll be heading to Positano in a week.

I would love to get the updated recommendations on the cash issue. I've seen some old posts, but it seems like more and more places now accept cards.

9 replies to this topic
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash.... still needed?

If you're stopping for a coffee or some other small expense it would be good to have cash. Some small shops are not set up for credit cards. I generally use cards only at restaurants or hotels or at shops accepting cards if I am making a purchase in excess of 20 euro.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash.... still needed?

I sometimes pop into a café / bar for a quick espresso which can often be 50 cents.

Don`t really want to pay for that on a credit card,

Always carry some good old fashioned cash

Graham

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash.... still needed?

Ok thanks for the input. I usually don't stop at the small shops so perhaps I won't need any. (Maybe I'm cheap, but I hate having excess foreign currency on me that I need to convert back (and sometimes can't).

So if anyone else has a compelling cash reason for me, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to try the next month cash-free while I'm visiting 5 more countries. I'll let you all know if I survive! :-)

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash.... still needed?

You need cash also to to buy Sita Bus and Circumvesuviana tickets.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash.... still needed?

I am not suggesting that you carry much cash but a few euros would be useful because you are bound to find somewhere that doesn`t take them.

Public pay toilets for instance will require the odd coin.

Graham

London
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash.... still needed?

I agree you should bring some euros or take them from the ATM machine once you are in Italy.

Would you go on holidays to the US with not even one dollar?

London
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash.... still needed?

For example, I'm not into tipping and it's totally unnecessary in Italy, but if you want to tip the waiters it's always better to give them cash rather than putting the tip on the card since more often than not the owner keeps the tip for himself.

That's a well know issue in London too, so the best thing is to ask to remove the service charge (many restaurants have started adding 12.5% service charge to the bill) and give cash to the waiters. In Italy it's different, they add a tiny charge called "coperto" and you cannot ask to remove that.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 19:50
Manchester/Naples
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash.... still needed?

Some smaller, family run restaurants might not accept cards. Always have a little bit to hand. (I only use cash, and never have any left over...!)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,425 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash.... still needed?

I;m a massive fan of plastic, but I still do carry small amounts of cash so that I can buy bus tickets and use public toilets.

Reply to: Cash.... still needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Positano