We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Positano

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in Positano

I heard that tipping in Italy is not recommended, is that true?

Does it apply to the major tourist sites like Positano, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,215 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Positano

Paying cash round up the Bill, you do not have to tip

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Positano

even in restaurants, tour guides?

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Positano

I don't tip in Italy for anything and at home in the UK I only tip my local hairdresser, but don't tip the hairdresser I use in Tuscany!

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Positano

It is never necessary to tip anyone for anything in Italy. It is not part of the way that Italy operates.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Positano

Then how come we are told by multiple staff that the service is not included on our bills in Positano?

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Positano

>>Then how come we are told by multiple staff that the service is not included on our bills in Positano?<<

There are many American tourists in Positano, and the restaurant staff are hoping that they can make some extra cash.

Unlike in America, wait staff are professionals who are paid a proper wage. They do not need tips on top of their wages.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Positano

>>Then how come we are told by multiple staff that the service is not included on our bills in Positano?<<

Exactly what sydneynick said. I just returned from Positano and have had several trips there. My Italian friend who lives there his whole life and works in one of the restaurants told me straight out that some of the restaurants try to take advantage of the tourists who don’t know any better. Some of the restaurants actually write on the bill “tip is not included” which is so wrong on so many levels. I asked him if he tips when he goes out and he said absolutely not. The most I’ve ever heard an Italian tip if they tip is rounding up the bill by a euro or two if paying in cash. There’s a reason there’s no line for gratuity on a credit card bill like here in the USA!!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New Windsor
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Positano

My experience - over 50 yrs traveling and working in Europe - tipping is not necessary and is included in the bill under a variety of terms. I just recently returned from Italy and showed my significant other, who is a waitress in the USA, one restaurant bill which showed a variety of taxes which added up to over 30%. No mention of Tip or Service, but I can assure you Service is Included. As mention to the custom of rounding up - that is true to make the life of the service provider easier, nothing else. If you give a server a 100 euro bill for a bill of 83 euros. It makes the server's life easier to just give you a 10 and 5 euro bills back instead of having to search his pockets for a couple of euro coins. Some - many people - also leave a few coins to signify their pleasure of the service or to tip something just extra for the server - a cup of expresso or something similar.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: Tipping in Positano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted